Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Skin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Skin Question

I bought 3 big ol picnic cuts to smoke this weekend because they were dirt cheap and Winco had no butts. I was wondering if you could do anything with the skin you have to cut off. I was wondering if you could make cracklin's or something.

If you could, do you know how or have a recipe?

Sean

I’m pretty sure there is a recipe for cracklin’ on the free site. I haven’t made them before but I’m sure someone will respond pretty soon.

Comment

Here is one way to do it..

Comment

There are a couple ways to go. Cracklings, https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...acklins-recipe. I've had the most success with this pork rinds recipe, https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/rec...harron-2268911. Ones with a shorter drying time haven't worked as well in my attempts.

Comment

Cracklins, chiccharrons, and grattons are made from pork skins and rinds. Here's a better way to make them than just frying them the old fashioned way.

thats the recipe for cracklins but note that you need the skin and fat layer. If you justbwant to make pork rinds then i have used the below recipe with success. You can change up the seasoning as you please.

Comment

Here is another way to use pork skin...we made braciole with it..Delicious.. but probably spikes the cholesterol a touch..Braciole di Cotenna...

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Is the gravy / sauce just a tomato puree or is it a special concoction. SonOfAButcher jecucolo

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Any marinara sauce will do.
              or
              sauté some garlic in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil
              add a small can of tomato paste
              fry that up pretty good
              add a half can of water and make it smooth
              heat that up a little
              add a couple of cans of tomatoes
              add salt and pepper to taste bring to boil and the simmer
              add some fresh basil or oregano
              let that simmer a few hours add water as necessary and you got some quick decent gravy.
              It's easy! as my Aunt Nellie would say.

• SonOfAButcher
              SonOfAButcher commented
              Editing a comment
              That pretty much covers it...The gravy will get so rich and delicious you will wanna put it in a tall glass and drink it like a Highball...:-)

Works great in cornbread too.. .Chicharrone tacos, or my favorite.. . PAPUSAS!

Comment

Pig skin is ground up and added to Morcilla (Blood sausage). 30% or more of the sausage is coarsely ground skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here