Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butt pulled pork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butt pulled pork question

I have a 9 pounder I put in about 10 pm at 225. This AM at 0600 I wrapped it in foil. By 9 the thermometer probe was 200 so I took it out of the foil but then the handheld probe showed more like 180. I left it on the top rack and it is hovering at 175-180 depending on the probe. Getting very tender. Bone already pretty loose. Not planning on pulling it till noon but here is the question

Any chance these actually can get done at 180-190? I assume if it is tender and the bone wiggles it is done. I also found I am out of calibration on one probe,, replaced it and all matches the handheld one now.

Yes, time is the crucial factor. It all happens quicker in the 200 range, but given enough time you can have a good product at 190 if held there long enough. Collagens melt above the 160-170 so leet's say you cooked it to 150 or 160 well done, it'd obviously be very tough yet, like an overcooked roast. But the more time at 180-190 the softer and 'juicier' it will become.

My advice, next time it hits 200ish don't unwrap it. Let it sit there for an hour or two held between 180-200.

Comment

I'd check those thermos out in boiling water, They can certainly be done at that temp depending on how long they took to get there, which at 225 was a while. If the probe goes in with almost no resistance it's done.

Comment

The brisket is now 199 and the probe goes in easily to either. The pork seems to say 180 but that bone moves easily. I am pulling them out to let them rest half an hour and see how they taste. Frankly if 14 hours isn't enough I don't know what is!

Comment

Cooking totally unwrapped at 225-250 can yield a butt done by 190, easy. Even though the bone comes out, I still like 2-3 hours of rest, after that.

Brisket, who knows with them freaks. I would literally prefer to work a complicated limited reagent stoichiometry problem, then try to guess when one of them suckers will about done.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 21, 2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

LOL Jerod is there really such a problem?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Trust me, the easy ones, intro level ones, kicked my rear recently. I told my wife, "No wonder there are so many Chemistry teachers, once you figure this crap out, it's like, 'wow, I might as well teach this stuff!!'"

• Guy
              Guy commented
              Editing a comment
              My daughter in law is a chemistry major but teaches math in High School. Her classes are the folks that say they can't learn math. So you can probably imagine.

Measured the temp with every working thermometer I have ... 5 of them. 178-182 everywhere. Bone slid out clean. fork spins with no resistance. That thing is done and no resting (although I admit that I cheat a little and put half a stick of butter and some garlic powder on top right before I rest it and pull it with that all melted in. Not sure where I started with that but it surely doesn't hurt!

Thanks for all the advice. Time to do a big calibration check but it is obvious that just one of them is off.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here