Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrap or No Wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap or No Wrap?

First time doing a ham. My question is wrap or not to wrap? If yes, how many hours into the smoke or internal temp is best to wrap. Thanks.

Welcome to the Pit! I have never done a ham either. Waiting with you for inside scoop. Did you check the "free" section? I'm sure meathead covers this there. See it? Top left of this page.

Comment

• MrClean
      MrClean commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I did look there, was not able to find answer. Not sure if I looked well enough. I've done brisket and was wondering if wrapping is appropriate for ham too.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

For myself i would not wrap it , i would make a nice brown sugar mustard glaze and brush it on at the end of the cook and take it off the smoker 15 to 30 minutes later. ( you don`t want the glaze to burn )

Comment

• MrClean
        MrClean commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! My worry is the ham drying out. I was not planning on a glaze at this time.

If you were talking about a country cured ham then you would need to wrap the entire time with plenty of liquid in the wrap; but otherwise just go low and slow. I would look into a glaze late in the smoking too. Doesn’t need to be heavy or overly sweet, just enough to add flavor to the finished exterior.

Comment

Are you asking about the presmoked ham? If so Meathead has an excellent recipe called Easter Ham. Check out the recipes here. I’m Not gifted at linking articles sorry!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here