Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Southern Cream Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Southern Cream Gravy

58limited posted some fantastic pics of biscuits, pulled pork and southern cream gravy. Googling for Southern Cream Gravy, you get a lot of recipes from a lot of sources.

What is your go-to cream gravy recipe?
    Last edited by jlazar; February 18, 2019, 08:47 AM.

When I moved from VA to San Diego in my mid 20’s, my mom wrote out some of her recipes for me. Her cream gravy is the bomb, so I was comforted knowing she included that one. Then one day I woke up with a hankering for biscuits and gravy and found it... (yes, I’ve kept it!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	F4536C53-31B5-42A0-8D5A-D97E51B55945.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	637355

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Best Cream Gravy ever, easily!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      That's wonderful! You'll have to keep that one in your recipe file forever!

I don't measure anything: I typically use bacon grease and flour - make a thick slurry and cook a couple of minutes but don't brown - just trying to get the flour taste and smell out. Add whole milk while stirring then let simmer until thickened. Add more milk to desired consistency. I usually add some chicken broth - about 1/3 of the liquid (milk) volume - to add some flavor and depth. Season with S&P

Watch these vids to learn how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4CoeGXvjw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkt9HRSvm0

Last edited by 58limited; February 17, 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

1 lb Owens hot breakfast sausage
      1 Quart whole milk
      3 TBS Oil
      6 TBS Flour

Brown the sausage, then add oil and flour and cook for a few minutes until the flour blends. Then add the milk, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until it thickens. Add more milk if needed, but it usually comes out FAB!

Comment

I don't measure either. I use sausage grease, add flour and cook until I see the first bit of color in the flour, then add milk. It doesn't hurt to add a bit of crumbled sausage too. You may have to add a little more milk or flour to get it to your preferred thickness.

I add the flour to the grease until there is no more grease visible, but stop there - you want it to remain liquid.

Comment

• jharner
          jharner commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here but I really love using bacon grease. Grama could it sawmill gravy

First time I made biscuits and gravy my head almost exploded, it was so easy. Ditto on all the comments - I guess it wasn’t really cream gravy it was sausage gravy. Browned the sausage and broke it up in CI skillet, added flour and a little more bacon grease, let the flour cook out, added milk until I got the consistency I wanted. I didn’t measure anything, just did it by taste and eye. Give it a try, it will be better than any restaurant offering.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here