Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about doing a rib sampler for a get-together - three types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If people like heat...Oakridge Ghost Pepper rub is pretty good. I made 8 racks for the Superbowl 1 with the Ghost Pepper rub and they were a hit with the hot chili lovers.

Comment

Well, this turned out to be a giant fail. I wrapped the ribs, and they ended up way overcooked. I think I'm gonna stop wrapping them, they keep turning out badly. When I tried to cut them, they just shredded and fell apart.

My Asian chili experiment kinda sucked, too... the sauce I made was a combo of agave and a garlic chili sauce, then I salted one rack, cooked 'em for almost 3 hours nekkid, then wrapped with the sauce. They were vastly overcooked like all of them, but the taste was very very weak. Almost no heat and a tiny bit of sweet. Really a waste, honestly.

I did them about 3 hours at 250, wrapped them all tightly in foil, dropped heat to 220 or so, kept rotating, last hour dropped to 170. Ugh. What a waste of good meat. I really should have just pulled them at the 4 hour mark, even then, I think they would have been a bit overdone, but every time I wrap, I feel they should go back on the smoker UNwrapped for a while as they are just too soft.

Probably from now on I will just not wrap at all, unless I am taking them somewhere, and I will just wrap them up right before we leave, when I pull them.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        So sorry to hear about the failure. I stopped wrapping ribs myself a year or two back, as a few times, they turned out like the ribs my wife used to cook in the crock pot...

If you are going to wrap, with baby backs, the method is usually "2-2-1", so you were probably way overcooked by going 3 hours before the wrap. And those times are for 225 all the way, at 250, you probably need to cut it back some.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I've tried various permutations of the 3-2-1 method and never has going 5 hours been a good idea. In my experience, even totally unwrapped 5 hours is too long. I was hoping this time since I cut the heat back a lot it would slow them down, but nope. I gotta go back to my old faithful method of unwrapped from start to finish.

Rib Tips would be a easy add

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here