Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about doing a rib sampler for a get-together - three types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about doing a rib sampler for a get-together - three types

So we're having a get-together tomorrow at church, probably 8-14 adults, assorted kids.

I was thinking about doing ribs three ways just for some variety and to get some opinions. I suppose I could do more than 3, also:
    • traditional dry rub (with my MMD+)
    • rubbed/smoked/sauced, similar to Last Meal Ribs
    • Asian chili - something like a sriracha/chipotle/agave version
    I'm open to other ideas, what do you guys think? I'm currently waiting to see how many are coming, although it's usually difficult to get a head count with our group, there're often last-minute problems. I suppose having "too many" isn't a terrible problem to have, I'll just bring some foil to wrap up extras and let people take them home.

My wife is no help whatsoever. She wants dry-rubbed with MMD+ and call it a day. She ain't int'rested in any of my other experimental crap. lol. She doesn't want sauce, doesn't want sweet, just salty/savory with a little heat (the + part of my MMD+ rub) and everyone else can deal with the rest. lol

Any other ideas, or this sound good to ya'll? I've got a three-pack of babybacks in the fridge I need to use up, if it looks like we're going to have a bigger group, I may go to the store and get 1-2 racks of St. Louis and double up on the dry rub and do an additional half-rack of the LMR and Asian-style - but I'm open to ideas!

Let me know what you think!

It's a Round Robin Rib Tournament!

On occasion I do an herb rub such as Simon & Garfunkel.

Comment

You could try the blasphemy ribs and then they are already cut up when you serve them.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this method, but it does take up more grate space, so if he ends up with 5-6 racks, blasphemy method might be hard to fit in there.

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Easily fixed jfmorris. Just need to add more cookers. Who doesn’t love that idea.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha jgreen - if only it was that easy! My offset can handle 7-8 racks of ribs on the grate, without using racks to stand them on edge. With rib racks I can easily do a dozen. With the blasphemy method 3 racks of baby backs take up the entire grate. I can fit 3 racks of blasphemy baby backs on the kettle, using the SNS, but had to buy a hover grill to do it, and I shuffle the ribs around top to bottom mid cook. I am hooked on blasphemy unless its more than 3 racks...

Maple glazed ribs, sriracha honey, and beef ribs need to be added, lol.

Comment

BTW 3 racks of babies. won't feed too many people, maybe 4 if there are sides. St. Lewis will usually feed 2 ppl a rack.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          There'll be other stuff there. Most people won't even do 3 ribs each. I'll likely do 5 racks altogether, but I bet there are more than 2 racks' worth left over.

It sounds like Mrs. tRidiot might like some Texas-style ribs. The rub is simple: 2 parts course black pepper, 1 part kosher salt. Could even add a little cayenne if more heat is desired. If you want to get really crazy, maybe even some paprika and/or garlic powder.

Here is an example of what I have in mind: https://howtobbqright.com/2016/05/06/texas-style-ribs/

Comment

My wife really likes ribs rubbed with Dizzy Pig's Peking rub and sauced with teriyaki sauce.

Comment

I did something similar a few weeks ago. Three racks of baby backs from Costco, each seasoned differently. All cooked in my PBC. The three racks were:

- one rack was dry brined with MMD
            - one was char siu ribs (seasoned with salt and pepper) and glazed with char siu sauce the last 30 min
            - one was Korean style with a honey gochujang glaze

The pics below were the MMD and the char siu ribs
            Click image for larger version  Name:	41FEFC34-5466-4B22-AADD-31FAA477C0D5.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	636852Click image for larger version  Name:	4AB76320-67CC-4890-89C7-875D9AD1CEF4.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	636853

Comment

Sounds like a fun event. Next Friday I am doing three racks of St Louis ribs for a work "rib-gatta" event. I am planning on two of them LMR style with regular Meathead's Memphis Dust, and for the third I have been trying to come up with something different. Your Asian style version got me to thinking a little extra ginger and some sesame added to Memphis Dust could be an interesting push to an Asian-ish taste.

Let us know what you go with!

Comment

Love the idea. I did this a few months ago for a few friends who are rib fiends -- used US heritage pork ribs, patta negra ribs and lamb ribs. Similar rubs so it was all about the difference in meat. I found that the patta negra performed best (those are my last meal ribs!) based on the amount eaten. Let us know what folks think.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The pata negra is Iberico, or a type of? Is that what I'm gleaning from my weak-a** Google fu?

• Bumby
                  Bumby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes - it's the type of pig that Iberico meat comes from.

You might want to try Brisket Syndicate bacon wrapped ribs. These will already be divided up and ready to serve.

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
                  Brisket Syndicate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You could also do a variety of sauces, and some without sauce, to suit different palates.

For those suggesting ribs already cut, I may do that sometime. I did them once, they were decent. But they do take up a LOT more room in the smoker and for this experiment, I don't have the room or inclination to spread them out and keep rotating/flipping/turning them.

Comment

My wife likes ribs with garlic and fresh oregano chopped in a food processor add about 1 tablespoon kosher salt and olive oil to make a paste.(if you want some heat add some cayenne) It's a nice "rub"that really lets the pork flavor shine through.
                  Have fun with your cook!

Comment

I like ribs with just salt and pepper only too. I add sauce on my plate and dip the ribs.

Comment

I love this Maple Cayenne Ribs version. The glaze is so tasty I can just drink it!

Preheat your grill for indirect: Place an aluminum foil pan filled with…

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here