Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs - Step-By-Step Primer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent tutorial! Thank you. Always something to learn here.

Comment

BOOM! Thanks Troutman. Excellent post; sensical and simple for a newb

Have you ever studied the spotting on the bone after finishing ribs to the temp you like? I watched a video recently where a guy pointed on the 'spotting' that occurs when they are done. Found that interesting.

Comment

Piling on Troutman - Awesome post! I'd love to see your writing be highlighted on the main site, or maybe Huskee and Spinaker , maybe have a sticky post section that draws upon Troutman's (and others) great how-to posts?

Again, thanks as always for your great posts sharing methods!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, this is a great one!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. -- John Keats

Great writeup. Thank you, Steve.

Comment

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this post, much appreciated!!

Comment

Thank you for the post. Can't say anymore then has already been agreed.
            Oh. except I'm a little disapointed you did not make your own secret ribs and sauces.

Can't wait for my next rib cook.

Thanks again.

Comment

Congratulations on achieving stickyhood, Sir Troutman.

Comment

Troutman thanks for the write up, and sharing your method! I followed it today, and while mine took 5 and a half hours, I'm pleased with the final result! The Troutman method rocks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	41C7688F-F20B-4B98-99EB-7E3A2E3E2E84.jpeg
Views:	575
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	637339

Comment

Thanks for writing that. Useful information.

Comment

FireMan Is this rigged?

Thats one one heck of a job there my friend. I think your rib tester is Biased and you need a new one, Me!!! 😃 please.

I sincerely appreciated reading that. There is something about basics/fundamentals that never gets old. That you did with some learning.

I think what I like most is your method allows for small changes and their results to be easily recognizable, documented and considered.

Well done sir!

(BTW I highly recommend Hanks rubs, they are perfect for grilling or smoking)

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Homes !!!

Great write up. This is one to study for sure. Also have had success with the layering method, but your overall explanation is very helpful with a ton of great tips. Thank you for sharing. Curious, what knife are you using to slice the ribs?

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A 12" Victorinox Cimeter, they sell them on Amazon

• DavidNorcross
                      DavidNorcross commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you!

This was great Troutman
                    Thanks!!

Comment

Thank you! I likey ribs just like you. Question: why can't or don't BBQ places [all claiming awards] serve the product right?I hate falling off the bone [mush] . Even the small [1man] places]here in Ca. over cook.

Comment

• charliekilo
                        charliekilo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will agree that holding is a problem. But in this day and age probably not insurmountable . That said, they brag about "falling of the bone" tender like that = greatness. To me it sounds like they want that in their product. Public preferences?
                        Sometimes I get hungry for ribs and do not have time for DIY. Most times I go for something else.
                        Good hearing other reasons.
                        Thanks

• klflowers
                        klflowers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        charliekilo, I try and make more ribs than we can eat, then I vacuum seal the leftovers and reheat them either in the oven or the Anova sous vide. They are not as good as right off the pit, but they are usually better than what I can get in restaurants.

• charliekilo
                        charliekilo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Leftovers? Breakfast or maybe lunch.

Need to add the eating step!

Comment

Great post. It is always interesting to hear other's methods. I am always interested in trying new methods. Trouble is it is hard to remember which the crowd like best, Thanks for the post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here