Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork rack gifted from friend, need help with technique..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork rack gifted from friend, need help with technique..

I received this as a gift from a friend. He said it was a "pork rack" and it looks to me most like a rib tenderloin but not sure?

​​​Anyhow I would love some assistance with how to cook. Of course that will solicit subjective answers but if I could use the smoker it would be awesome. Treat it like a rack of spares?

Otherwise should I cut and serve as pork chops?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190209_165615.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	634280Click image for larger version  Name:	20190209_165607.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	634281Click image for larger version  Name:	20190209_165629.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.42 MB ID:	634282

I have cooked a few of these. I cook most of them flat and have cooked 2 as crown roasts. I prefer flat. I dry brine 24 hours and then use Memphis Dust day of. I cook on my Performer with SNS at 275-300 and I use mesquite or apple chunks. I cook to an internal temperature of 130-135. These turn out wonderful. Absolutely critical to not overcook.

Another thing I have done with these is cut them into double cut pork chops (2 ribs). Works great for smaller portion size. I cook them the same way I cook the full rack.

Great cut to work with. Enjoy.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok cool. So brine, dry rub and smoke...

Then lay it cap side up to smoke?

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      yes sir, cap side up.

I like to cook those, then cut them as pork chops. The loin is in there, but it is pretty well protected by the ribs and the fat cap. For sure, you want to sear that fat cap...beautiful and delicious! Don't overheat the loin...I cook to the minimum, (don't recall the number), Amazing Ribs recommendation. I think you want something about medium rare.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I found this little gem from Malcolm. Looks tasty....

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring Smoked Bone-In Pork Roast Recipe.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks really good! I like they are generous with the rub ingredients.

Brine, low and slow and spritz. They are fantastic. I have 6 12 pounders in the freezer right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	634523

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Geez those are huge! Mine is about 6 pounds.

I love the pineapple, what's in the glaze?
      Last edited by SpeedyB; February 10, 2019, 09:55 AM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Primo !!!

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing better than grilled/smoked pineapple!

The glaze is called Swine Apple. I have to buy it online it’s delicious and the only glaze I would even consider putting on ribs and not serving on the side. Google will find it for you.

Comment

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent thank you for the insight

Here's another throw down, smoked low and slow until an internal of 140*. I used a raspberry/chipotle glaze, the combination of heat and sweet really ramped up the mild tasting meat. They really are fairly easy to cook, good luck with yours !!

Name:	pork roast 01.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	634541

Name:	pork rib roast 04.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	634542

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Always glaze at the end of the cook and "set" it for about 15 minutes or so.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG, that looks amazing!

• SpeedyB
      SpeedyB commented
      Editing a comment
      Copy thx

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here