Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared49
    replied
    St. Louis w/tug

Leave a comment:

• dshaffes
    replied
    I compete with ribs, but that has nothing to do with how I like to cook/eat ribs in the backyard. Your comment implies that we only prepare ribs "competition style" which is inaccurate. I cook all types of ribs and utilize many different techniques and flavor profiles.

Leave a comment:

• Lazy Layne
    replied
    I love baby backs, but am not against St. Louis cut. Pull off bone, not fall off

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I do all three pork ribs, frequently, an it's a tough call to pick a fave...
    Probly do Spares most often...
    SLC/BB when they go on substantial discount...

• Spinaker
    replied
    Speaking of Ribs.......how about some Beef Plate ribs?!?!

Leave a comment:

• PappyBBQ
    replied
    Well. I buy full spares whenever possible, but always cut them down to St. Louis, which leaves me with the wonderful rib tips for other cooks!!!

Leave a comment:

• PappyBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto!

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I have started just fileting some of that extra loin meat off the BBR's. Makes them more consistent and not as dry.

• jgg85234
    replied
    Interesting result so far. Just from the discussions over the years, I (wrongfully I guess) assumed that Baby Backs would get the highest vote total. SLC is solidly in the lead.

I voted spares (and I'm the only one so far), only because I like removing the tips and cooking them separately as a snack for the cook. What I serve is always SLC to guests and family. I find it difficult to be consistent with Baby Backs, as the amount of loin meat left on top of the bones varies considerably from one rack to another. It's too easy to dry out that meat (which cooks quicker).

I put the rubs on (MMD is a favorite), and learned a trick from the Strand Café in Vienna. Serve with a few varieties of sauces so people can choose and try different flavors. Wish I could find those serving boards, and really wish I could get Budvar Frisch Vom Fass (on tap) in the US. They always served 2 racks, and while they called them spare ribs, they were SLCs. Great view as well.

Best regards,
    Jim
    Click image for larger version

Name:	strandcaferibs.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	632600Click image for larger version

Name:	strandcafe.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	632601

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. This.

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    Same in my house...wife likes baby backs fall off the bone, I like slc with some tug.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Steve B hmmmmmm, my wife accuses me of doing that because it means more BBQ fun for me ;-)

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Haaa. But doesn’t that more work for us. You and I know that chicken and ribs cook sooo differently.
    What we will do for our loved ones. 👊

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Cool Beans, jgg85234 !
    It allowed me to see I clicked th wrong box; I prefer STL, with a lil tug, actually Oops!

• jgg85234
    commented on 's reply
    Willy - I've seen bulletin boards (don't remember if they were vbulletin based or some other software) that marking them public literally meant that. Something marked public was visible to people who weren't even members of the forum. That memory is why I just skipped over that option when I created the poll.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here