Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs Preference

How do you prefer to eat pork ribs? Which kind, and how prepared? If you compete, please check box #7, so we only get answers from back yard cookers or their guests. You only get one choice for favorite type, and for how they are prepared. Again, if you compete, select the final option as we know you have a requirement for the judges.
    Baby Backs - Fall off the bone
    9.90%
    Baby Backs - Cooked until there's a little tug remaining
    21.78%
    Spare Ribs - Fall off the bone
    1.98%
    Spare Ribs - Cooked until there's a little tug remaining
    6.93%
    St Louis Cut - Fall off the Bone
    7.92%
    St Louis Cut - Cooked until there's a little tug remaining
    49.50%
    I compete, so I have to prepare them with some bite
    1.98%

St. Louis Cut........Some Tug on the bone!

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. This.

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto!

Oh meet me in St. Louie, Louie, meet me at the fair.....don't tell me the lights are shining any place but there .... oh sorry got caught up in the moment

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy there big fella. 😂😂😂

Whoops! I duplicated you. Looks like yours is more complete so maybe a mod could delete mine?

(Arizonans think alike!)

Comment

I like both SLCs and BBS and don't care much either way--fall or bite off, but I picked BBs/bite off.

I notice we can't see who voted for each choice. Is this a new feature?
      Last edited by Willy; February 4, 2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        jgg85234 Regarding the "public" option", I have always assumed that it referred to letting folks see the vote totals. It never occurred to me that it had to do with individual voters...so, I'm kinda in your camp. Surprised to see what it really means.

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy - I've seen bulletin boards (don't remember if they were vbulletin based or some other software) that marking them public literally meant that. Something marked public was visible to people who weren't even members of the forum. That memory is why I just skipped over that option when I created the poll.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool Beans, jgg85234 !
        It allowed me to see I clicked th wrong box; I prefer STL, with a lil tug, actually Oops!

SLC with some tug .... my wife wants BBR fall of the bone .... makes cooking ribs an interesting experience at my house.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Haaa. But doesn’t that more work for us. You and I know that chicken and ribs cook sooo differently.
        What we will do for our loved ones. 👊

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve B hmmmmmm, my wife accuses me of doing that because it means more BBQ fun for me ;-)

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Same in my house...wife likes baby backs fall off the bone, I like slc with some tug.

My absolute favorite is St. Louis cut, Memphis style dry ribs with a little tug. They be the best!

Comment

St. Louis w/ a little tug for me!

Comment

Interesting result so far. Just from the discussions over the years, I (wrongfully I guess) assumed that Baby Backs would get the highest vote total. SLC is solidly in the lead.

I voted spares (and I'm the only one so far), only because I like removing the tips and cooking them separately as a snack for the cook. What I serve is always SLC to guests and family. I find it difficult to be consistent with Baby Backs, as the amount of loin meat left on top of the bones varies considerably from one rack to another. It's too easy to dry out that meat (which cooks quicker).

I put the rubs on (MMD is a favorite), and learned a trick from the Strand Café in Vienna. Serve with a few varieties of sauces so people can choose and try different flavors. Wish I could find those serving boards, and really wish I could get Budvar Frisch Vom Fass (on tap) in the US. They always served 2 racks, and while they called them spare ribs, they were SLCs. Great view as well.

Best regards,
          Jim
          Click image for larger version

Name:	strandcaferibs.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	632600Click image for larger version

Name:	strandcafe.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	632601

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I have started just fileting some of that extra loin meat off the BBR's. Makes them more consistent and not as dry.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I do all three pork ribs, frequently, an it's a tough call to pick a fave...
            Probly do Spares most often...
            SLC/BB when they go on substantial discount...

Well. I buy full spares whenever possible, but always cut them down to St. Louis, which leaves me with the wonderful rib tips for other cooks!!!

Comment

Speaking of Ribs.......how about some Beef Plate ribs?!?!

Comment

I love baby backs, but am not against St. Louis cut. Pull off bone, not fall off

Comment

I compete with ribs, but that has nothing to do with how I like to cook/eat ribs in the backyard. Your comment implies that we only prepare ribs "competition style" which is inaccurate. I cook all types of ribs and utilize many different techniques and flavor profiles.

Comment

St. Louis w/tug

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here