Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's wrong with fall off the bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with fall off the bone?

OK, I did a search and didn't find an answer.
    I found some like fall off the bone, some don't.

I tend like fall off the bone but can'r really tell the difference in taste.
    What am I missing?

Competition seems to like pull off, not fall off, not sure why.

Sorry if the answer was to be found in the search feature, I missed it.

I have the feeling somewhere there'e an article about this but can't find it..
    tia

Al

My wife prefers fall off the bone while I prefer just a bit of tug. My guess is that that's the way it evolved in competition, so most everyone thinks they should not fall off the bone.

Cook 'em the way you like 'em.

Comment

It's really a matter of personal preference.

The people who want to take a bite want the remaining meat to stay in place on the bone until they take another bite. They want to see the bite marks.

The people who like fall off the bone don't care that when they try to bite into the meat, all of it comes right off in one big piece.

I prefer the first one, but many people like option #2 just as well.

Best regards,
      Jim

Comment

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe we should create a poll? Just think, in some environments (not here) that simple question could easily evolve into a flame war

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, a poll now that Huskee is on vacation.

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        We don't need Huskee to create a poll. It's easy enough to do.

As I stated in the "huh" thread: meh, six of one, half dozen of the other. That would make 12 ribs and I'll eat 'em any way you want to cook 'em! I do like them with a little pull, but don't care it they're FOTB cause they're still WIBS!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no, the dreaded word meh!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! Fall off this time, bite next time. Gimme wibs.

Spend all day cooking a superb rack of ribs then when you take the first bite the rest falls off onto the floor. Pets may like your fall off the bone ribs. Here in Argentina a lot of asadors try to twist and slide the bones out to show how well cooked they are.

Comment

Poll might be nice, unfortunately you'd have to leave out everybody in competition as they have no say in the matter.
      Maybe a better poll might be, "which do you think tastes better" or something like that??

Ya, I try to hit the Just fall off stage and the wife and I like them that way, I didn't know if there was some flavor/texture/? thing I was missing.
      Thanks

Never had any trouble with the ribs falling on the floor, maybe try hanging on to them?
      Al

Comment

My hypothesis on why competition evolved to pull or must see a bite mark is that they had to have a standard and it is much harder to cook to pull than it is fall off the bone. At least it is harder for me to hit that mark. Me, I like BBQ any way I can get.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with this too. Fall off the bone is achieved when you cook them or braise them so long that they turn into pot roast. Now there's nothing wrong with pot roast but I want some bite to my ribs, it's a mouth texture thing not a taste thing per se.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly, good sir! Troutman

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, was going to post the same.

I prefer a little tug on the bone. When they are fall off, they tend to be a little bit mushy. A little tug gives the meat more texture. IMHO.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          So, is that considered a vote for or agin?

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          One vote against fall off the bone, sir! FireMan

My wife and kids sorta like the fall off the bone ribs, because I got them used to them using the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method. That 2 hours of braising in foil really does make it fall off the bone. I no longer do that, and just cook them straight without the wrap, and more often lately, using the blasphemy method, and I get ZERO complaints, and nothing but compliments.

When I was sick with pneumonia for 2 weeks last year, really bad, my wife took 3 racks of baby backs I had in the fridge and cooked them in the crock put, dumping a half gallon of Blues Hog in there with them. I ate it, but was not happy at the waste of expensive BBQ sauce for such a cooking method. It was definitely "fall off the bone". I make sure to keep a big jug of Sweet Baby Ray's in the garage fridge now, and have told her to use that if she decides to go crazy and "BBQ" something in the oven or crockpot, versus using my $25/gallon Blues Hog sauce. I guess I should be grateful that she fed me something as good as ribs, no matter how it was cooked, when I was sick as a dog!

Comment

OK, a poll is up.

Best regards,
          Jim

Comment

To me fall off the bone = pulled pork. If I want pulled pork I'll start with pork butts and make it that way. I want my ribs to hold together and be ribs from the first bite to the last.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly

Spinaker touched on it. It's a textural difference. I like a little pull because I find it texturally more pleasing to chew.

Comment

Many local restaurants around here must braise their ribs because the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender and not especially smoky. The flavor is more like pot roast with BBQ sauce on it. The texture of the meat is often a little mushy too. They're okay, but I can't get real excited about ribs like that.

If someone was able to cook ribs that tasted like BBQ ribs and weren't mushy, I'd be okay with them being fall-off-the-bone tender. I haven't made acquaintance with ribs like that, however.

I'm not yet edjumacated enough to have a preference between baby backs, St Louis, and spare ribs -- ribs are just ribs to me at the moment -- so I'll have to take a pass on the poll.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                As time goes on and you get more edjumacated and experienced with this wib thing. You shall develop your own personal preferences. Neither of which is bad.
                Now go start experimentationing. And let us know your preferences. 👍😁

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, folks! I'm definitely workin' on getting learned.

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve B lingo even I can unnerstan.

I like them both ways. Just as long as the rack will hold together, as opposed to the bones fall out of it.

Comment

I normally buy spares, trim them myself, and the ribs tips are a little reward while I'm cooking the St. Louis cut.

If you want your vote to count, just pick one and select FOTB or with some tug. I'm guessing that the votes will reflect mostly baby backs, followed by St Louis cut. But, the way I set up the poll, you can add 3 together to determine the preference of how they are cooked, or add 2 together to determine the relative preference for type of rib

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here