Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused Me and Country Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused Me and Country Ham

I have never experienced country ham before as it is not available in markets here in Northern New England but because of some threads I read here in the Pitmaster Club I decided to order one from a Tennessee smokehouse already pre-sliced into steaks. I have followed the directions that came with the ham both for frying and for baking. Both times added water as suggested to control saltiness. The ham steaks always come out tough, chewy and saltier than I would have imagined. I understand the curing process these hams go through but wondering if this is the way they should be when plated for the table or if I'm just not getting how to prepare this meat?

Country ham can be described as tough chewy and salty. But you can do things to offset some of these.
    The first is to slice thin. Since you got them pre-sliced I hope they were on the thin side and not like a regular ham. To control salt you need to soak much longer than you are. I know the instructions might give a time but remember that they were written by someone who has eaten this style ham all their life and is use to the salt. Double or even triple the recommended time. Another thing you can do is to simmer the slices in water before frying. Your instructions might mention this but extend the simmer beyond the minute or two many recommend, and use more water than recommended. Once done, throw away the water and then start your frying. A lot of people like to boil their ham slices instead of frying too.
    We personally only bake whole hams. I would check out the instructions that other ham shops give. Google for Smithfield ham shops and see what they have to say in the way of preparation.

Comment

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw many thanks for the excellent information, suggestions and yes the ham steaks are thinly cut. I can see where this kind of ham is an acquired taste.

Love country ham. I have used this recipe in the past and was very pleased. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1910162

Comment

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      David thank you for the recipe. Alton Brown's recipes are usually terrific. Maybe I can adjust to handle a few thinly sliced steaks.

You can always desalinate it. Take it out of the package and throw it into a container filled with cold water, then place it in the fridge for 8 hours. Change the water and do it again. The salt should be pulled out from the meat. Not all of it, but enough to make it more palatable.

Comment

• bronzewound
      bronzewound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet! bronzewound

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here