Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboy Cut Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy Cut Bacon

I stopped by a local small meat locker to pick up something for the inaugural roast in my new smoker and there was a special that if you bought 2.5 lbs of cowboy cut bacon, it was 5% off the full order. Since there is never too much bacon in the world, I added some to the list of items I was picking up and on my way home realized I have no idea what I bought or how to use it. I don't think I'll have any trouble using the bacon up, but in researching it a bit more, it looks as though it is likely uncured bacon. I thought I'd ask this group of folks if you had suggestions on how to best use the bacon I've picked up. Currently, it's in my freezer in one large clump of bacon. Thanks!

Was it just a huge bag of irregular shaped thick bacon slices? Usually I just divide it up into smaller bags. You can cook it like regular bacon, or usually I'll cut it up and use it in everything that I need bacon for. It's all good!

Comment

Is it sliced?? Or one chunk??

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

I think when it thaws and I can see it all better, it's sliced in several irregular shapes...

Comment

I cube my bacon ends and use them in salads, omelettes, rice dish, tacos, etc.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              and Mac & Cheese.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for covering me holehogg!

I haven't dealt with uncured bacon (is that an oxymoron?), but I'd probably do with it like I do with the 5-pound boxes of bacon end pieces that I sometimes buy. (The Webster City and Edgewood, Iowa, lockers make really tasty bacon.)

I slow-cook the bacon ends in the smoker or on the grill or in the oven till lightly browned and rendered, but not crispy. After cooling, I set the nicer slices aside to freeze or eat as-is. I pick out the largest chunks of fat from the irregular chunks that are left -- the fat goes to my pups as treats. The rest gets chopped in the food processor to make real bacon bits for use in beans, soup, quiche, etc.

Comment

• skipsdaughter
              skipsdaughter commented
              Editing a comment
              Great suggestions! Thanks a bunch! I love meat I've gotten from the Edgewood Locker, too! They've always done a nice job with the meats I've purchased!

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              You're most welcome, you two. Glad I could share some of my favorite sources of good food.

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              This talk of good Meat Lockers around the countryside reminds me why we always carry a cooler along just in case we happen to run into one of these fine establishments in our travels.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here