Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Bacon

First time Ever Curing Bacon...Basically MH's recipe and method. Simple and straight forward. Very economical too...Came out to about $3.00 per lb. Vs $6.99 for some half as good from the store.

Goodby store bought Bacon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	625137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2405.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	625134Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	625135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	625136

Nice! Yes, if I had a better local source of bellies I probably would never buy bacon again. I have to travel to find them so I do't do it as much as I'd like, but I am with you, so easy & economical. And you can smoke it to the level you want too!

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Rfuilrez Just curious....What do you charge per lb?
      Last edited by troymeister; January 20, 2019, 07:31 AM.

• Rfuilrez
      Rfuilrez commented
      Editing a comment
      troymeister For a long time I charged $9/lb. I recently bumped it to $10 to make giving change easier. And then I give a break 5/$45. I sell pastrami too, though much less often because it takes longer. $13/lb for that.

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a pretty cool side gig...

One of the biggest payoffs of taste vs the "work" you put in. And you become a legend with your friends when you share your bacon!

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda Yes you are so correct.....The flavor vs effort and even economic value is unbelievable. As I was saying to Huskee..I'm kicking myself for not doing this years ago......

Got 30 lbs of bellies curing right now getting ready for the smoker on Tuesday. So much better than anything store bought.

Comment

Looks good. Nice color!!

Comment

Meathead writes about bacon from hog "side meat." Anyone have a source for that?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          At most meat markets it is pork belly..unsmoked it is side pork..where I live u can hear the market price on pork bellies on the radio.. we like bacon in MN!!

Great looking bacon and some great knife skills with those uniform slices.

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I sharpened the knife as best as I could and I partially froze the bacon to make it easier. A slicer would work best but I don't own one..

SWMBO has forbidden me from buying bacon after I smoked and sliced the second belly this morning.

Comment

Cookin up some of MH's bacon tonight for dinner!! quick n easy.

Comment

Anyone have any ideas for Apple Cider Smoked Bacon? A restaurant near me has it and it is delicious. Tried to make it myself and it didn't quite come up to the standard at that restaurant.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              How did you do it? substitute apple cider for the water?

• smokinsteve
              smokinsteve commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I did. I've tried it on two occasions. One with cider from the grocery store, and another from an orchard. The one from the orchard was better than the store bought, but still not what I wanted.

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              My idea would be to cure it.. then inject with homade apple cider and rub with a apple butter or apple sauce and the smoke.. maybe rub down again once done with apple butter once cooled.. just an idea..

I'm kind of surprised you haven't done this before, but welcome into the light!

Comment

Good work. I want to do this? Curious how long does the bacon keep after it is smoked? If you smoke a larger amount can it be frozen?

Comment

DavidNorcross the bacon will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, give or take a couple days. I freeze it in 1.5-2 lb quantities and then defrost and cook as needed. I keep it for about 3 months, max .... although honestly I've never had bacon around that long. I usually brine/cook bacon once a month.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                  DavidNorcross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. Thank you

I have 10 lbs. of Meathead's recipe to smoke today. I still am deciding between the Weber with the SnS, or my old standby Char-broil propane (with an electric element that I am able to run as low as 150F). I don't have much experience with the SnS, and holding 225F is where I am unsure. I don't want to melt the fat.
                Anyone have a suggestion or something to push me off the fence?

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like your Char-Broil is a reliable approach.

• Dick Anderson
                  Dick Anderson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks EdF. I need more practice with the SnS, and still too many air leaks. Ol' Char-broil is chugging right along at 155F. I think I'll add some wood and the meat!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'll be sure to get it!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here