Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Cook - Baby back's, beans, apples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Cook - Baby back's, beans, apples

0915 - warm up @350. Using rest of B&B Pecan pellets. Handful of pecan chips on diffuser.
    Seasoned ribs with my AP rub and Memphis Dust.
    0935 - lowered temp to 235 and filled hopper with B&B Comp blend.
    1000 - Ribs on.
    1200 - Got word that dinner guests are going to be two hours late. Won't wrap to try and draw the cook out.
    1320 - Apples on. Cored, halved, brown sugar, cinnamon, liquid butter in aluminum pan.
    1320 - brushed ribs with an apple juice, brown sugar, honey, liquid butter and rub mixture.
    1345 - Beans on. Two cans of Bush's(1 can southern pit barbecue,1 can steakhouse recipe) drained, 3Tb brown sugar, 1Tb bourbon, leftover strip steak on bottom, homemade maple bacon on top.
    1345 - Turned and swapped the ribs.
    1430 - spritzed with apple juice.
    1600 - sauced ribs.
    1630 - pulled everything.

Apples and beans were really good. Ribs were overdone. Should have wrapped when they got to the right color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_092315[1].jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	622432Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_163742[1].jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	622436
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dsohmer; January 12, 2019, 08:18 PM.

The ribs look good, nice bark! I like when you can buy extra meaty ribs.

Comment

Looks good! I like the Smithfield pork loin back ribs. Lots of meat on them babies and usually no membrane to deal with.

Comment

• dsohmer
        dsohmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Both of these had the membrane.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Its funny how it seems to change. One time nothing, the next one has some with it.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        That's strange. The Smithfields I buy have always had the membrane intact.

Good lookin' cook.

Comment

Sounds delicious. Too bad your guests were late, but I bet they loved the food anyway.

Comment

Those ribs look pretty good from here.

Comment

Wrap with some liquid is our way. That is how the family likes them. Looks great!

Comment

Gosh, too bad they were overdone. 7+ hours on the smoker, though. I can see why. I've found pulling them and wrapping and resting is perfectly fine with ribs, just like most people do with brisket. Good cook, though... always frustrating when you plan to do things on schedule and then people are late. I know life happens, but I want my food to be served PERFECT. lol

Oh well, they usually still get eaten!

Comment

Yea gotta agree. I’ve been Pellet cooking ribs at 275* in no more than 5 hours, typically less. Did you have fall apart ribs? Why did you feel they were overdone?? They sure look good !

Comment

• dsohmer
                  dsohmer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A little dry and the bark was a little tougher than I like. They got ate, I just think they could've been better.

Recently went up to one of my favorite BBQ joints in Estes Park, CO and the end ribs were so overcooked it was like eating the bark off of a tree. Almost anything less done than that on ribs I'm cool with, though, so I bet yours were tasty.

Nice color and texture according to the pics!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here