Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Tenderloins on the Grill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Tenderloins on the Grill!

This evening I did some pork tenderloins on the Weber with the SNS. I basically followed Steven's Raichlen's recipe for Char Sui: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/cha...rk-tenderloin/ which is also featured in Episode 203 of Project Smoke.

I'm still having trouble getting my temperature down, but at least this time (this is only my second cook on the Weber) I got it steady at 270. Hotter than I'd like, but at least not above 275.

I was really surprised how quickly these tenderloins cooked. Just about an hour to 145-150.

Now, how did they turn out....well, first, this was the most moist tenderloin I have ever cooked. So juicy! I'm still mulling the flavor profile over in my mind. For some reason I was expecting a more savory or even spicy profile, but this was quite sweet really. The Chinese Five-Spice has a very cinnamony flavor. Very good and unique flavor, but wasn't quite what I was expecting.

One problem is that the flavors were really intense and threatened to overpower the meat. I marinated the tenderloins overnight (as Steven instructs in the Project Fire video) but probably should have done eight hours (as the recipe on the web site suggests).

The other issue is my tenderloins turned out really smokey, and this clashed with the sweetness of the rub and marinade. I put the hickory chunks on the coals when I put the tenderloins on the grill. I probably should have just used one chuck and not two. Also a milder wood probably would have been better (but all I had was hickory). I think Steven used Applewood in Project Smoke.

Here's one of them:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2785
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	620394

There's even a little hint of a smoke ring! (Although, again, the smoke flavor was a bit much and clashed with the sweetness of the rub and marinade.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2729
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	620395

Would I make it again? Possibly, with the changes I mentioned above.

--Michael

Apple or cherry for that stuff works well.

Comment

Pork Tenderloins are one of my favorite things to grill and in my opinion an often overlooked cut.

Occasionally I will do one with a BBQ rub and sauce it towards the end.... Our favorite though is when I just hit it with Kosher Salt, Coarse Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and an aromatic like Crushed Rosemary.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh rosemary would be great on these things. I'll do that on my next tenderloin!

One of my favorite things we make on the pellet smoker. We inject with cherry cola actually and rub with some Killer Hogs.

Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup!

• (Arrow)
        (Arrow) commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Boom!

All the loins look great !! I do them on a regular basis. I'm prone to wrapping around different stuffings, sometimes bacon wrapped outside, otherwise pork loin tends to be too bland for me. Also, as a suggestion to the poster, try pulling it off at about 140*, that's going to return the most tenderness and moisture possible. You get up much more than 150* they dry out and get flavorless. Good work though, keep it up !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	620475

Comment

• McEDaddy
        McEDaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman, what’s the secret to getting the tenderloin unrolled to be stuffed? Do you need a knife long enough to go all the way through long-wise? Thanks

• Chuck in Charlotte
        Chuck in Charlotte commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm anxious to try stuffing a pork loin, but if you stuff or inject it do you need to cook the interior to 160 for food safety? If surface contamination is an issue, would you sous vide it at 140 for a couple of hours after you smoke it, then sear it? Or am I being too cautious?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        McEDaddy here is a step-by-step on how to do a Pork Loin Roulade, or a stuffed loin. I've used a couple of different knives to splay open the loin, but I like to use my 14" carving knife best to make long smooth cuts. The other trick is once open, put a piece of cellophane over it and pound it uniform to a thickness of about 1/2". Makes for a great rolling surface.

(By request, this is a reprint from the SUWYC post for the recipe content to this channel. Thanks barelfly for calling it what it really is, a roulade.) Had half of a 30" pork

We cook pork tenderloins a lot. They are inexpensive, low fat and when cooked to medium they are incredibly juicy, as evidenced by the pics on this thread.

Comment

That looks like a successful cook to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
          Pork Tenderloins are one of my favorite things to grill and in my opinion an often overlooked cut.

Occasionally I will do one with a BBQ rub and sauce it towards the end.... Our favorite though is when I just hit it with Kosher Salt, Coarse Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and an aromatic like Crushed Rosemary.
          100% agree with this spice blend for tenderloin. One thing to be cognizant of is the amount of injected broth in the meat, I’ve noticed it varies a bit

Comment

Tenderloins are great (and cheap) for parties also - sliced and served on kings Hawaiian mini buns, with a pickle, a dab of your favorite sauce - they make perfect sliders.

Comment

These just hit the pellet smoker. Injected with cherry cola and rubbed with killer hogs.

Attached Files

Comment

Try smoking with pecan wood . It is my go-to for pork.

Comment

The finished product.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I borrowed this recipe from fzxdoc for my last pork loin and it was a real winner.

Fzxdoc method I used:

1. Brine for 1 hour in wet brine: 1 qt water, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup table salt. (good for 2 chops)
                    2. Rinse and add to sous vide bag
                    3. Sous vide at 135 for 2 hours or more.
                    4. Remove from bag, dry off, coat with oil, add a rub* if desired, and sear quickly.

I did this with butterflied boneless pork chops, about ¾ to 1 inch thick. Worked great! Much better than my previous sous vide attempts with pork chops at higher temperatures.

HTH,
                    Kathryn

*I like Chef Tim Love's Cocoa and Chile rub on pork chops: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tablespoon light brown sugar

1 tablespoon pure ancho chile powder

Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing

Mix In a bowl, mix the cocoa, sugar and ancho powder with 1 tablespoon of salt.

Drain the pork chops and pat dry. Brush generously with olive oil. Roll the pork chops in the cocoa rub and pat to help it adhere. Grill over moderately high heat for 4 minutes, turning the chops once or twice until lightly browned. Transfer the chops to the cool zone, cover and grill for about 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the chops registers 135° for medium meat. Let the chops rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Comment

Yeah I don't know why pork tenderloin doesn't get more love...it's oddly both lean but also very tender, and very forgiving to cook as long as you don't go too hot. Generally not too expensive either.

I don't throw too much smoke at mine, but I'll use a little apple if I have it. I generally use a pretty simple rub too, just let the pork be what it is. Salt/pepper/cayenne/garlic, and about half the time I'll sauce it, but I often leave it unsauced as well, both ways are good. If I go unsauced I'll usually let the temp get up right at the end to give it a little bark (I often do just a couple at a time on a kettle so I just put them over the hot side of the grill, though this obviously would be a little more fiddly to do in a dedicated smoker). I also like the rub from Salt Lick BBQ in Texas, very solid for a pre-mixed rub, and good on any kind of pork or chicken. I know people who put it on their eggs!

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like them with a little brown gravy.

• Backroadmeats
                        Backroadmeats commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Everything is better with gravy!!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here