Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing MH's Perfect Pulled Pork and LMR at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing MH's Perfect Pulled Pork and LMR at the same time

I'm having a little get together next weekend and am going to make both recipes. I just want to make sure the way I plan on cooking them will be correct, since they take different times to cook and different amounts of wood. The pork will take about 12 hours and 16 ounces of wood while the ribs will take 6 hours and 8 ounces of wood. This is how I was thinking about doing them:

Start the pork and smoke with 8 ounces of wood. After 6 hours, throw the ribs on with another 8 ounces of wood. I'm sure the time will increase a bit, but other than that, is this how you guys would do it?

Well I am assuming you only have one cooker. That being the case that sounds like it should work as described. However you want to bear in mind that those cooking times are not absolutes. Every piece of meat cooks differently.

Another way you might consider doing it(and this would be the way I would do it due mainly to space considerations). Would be to start your shoulder as you described, early, then once it's time to start the ribs move the shoulder inside to the oven. It will already have the smoke on it at that point and if you need to bump the heat up in case the ribs get done earlier than anticipated you will be in great shape to be able to do so easily.

One more thing, just to make it easier for people to give you sound advice without guessing. Fill out your sig so we all know what you're working with as far as cookers and such. Just makes it that much easier to help and you won't have to explain your setup every time

-Joel

Comment

Tip#1 will show you how to complete your Sig.

Comment

I wouldn't limit myself on wood...unless you're not sure how smokey you like them.

Comment

I've smoked a butt and ribs on the same grill a few times. The big problem is the heat loss (putting on the ribs, and checking on the ribs as they get close to done) puts a lot more time on the butt, so I tend to wait until the stall to start the ribs they tend to finish at the same time. Good Luck!

Comment

I think I'm going to use Joel's tip about moving the shoulder to the oven when I put the ribs on. I'll let you guys know how it turned out

Comment

I ended up using the Hovergrill and everything turned out really well. Forgot to take pictures because friends devoured everything before I had a chance.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                Heh heh... had that happen a few times myself

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here