Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt - Last Meal Ribs. Be gentle with me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first attempt - Last Meal Ribs. Be gentle with me...

FireMan ...as requested, my first cook. I went for the last meal ribs and by all accounts I was really happy with it. A made a few mistakes which I will sort out for the next time.

The ribs were on the grill for 5 1/2 hours when I did the bend test. Guests weren't arriving for another 1/2 hour so I wrapped them in tin foil and put them in the Chilly Bin (Cooler) then pulled them out, cut them in half and sauced half of them, put them back on the grill for a bit then cut them up.

The taste was amazing! They vanished before my eyes. Guests inhaled them and the meat just fell off the bone.

A bit disappointed with my smoke from the woodchips but I have a plan to get around that. Found it difficult to control the temperature.

Please feel free to look at the pictures and make recommendations - I'm open to constructive criticism. Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	619050Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	619051

For openers, you need to move the utensil so we can see more meat! Looks great & we are happy it was amazing, that’s the important thing, as you tinker with the cooks and get better you will just beam with confidence & excitement. It’s great delighting others isn’t it.

Comment

• Daz
      Daz commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. Will remember that. Yeah it was a huge buzz for sure!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t know how big the box is but you can wrap chips in aluminum, with a few holes. Some use that here, I use a tube on my gasser or a pouch.

Nothing not to like about those ribs, Daz. Great job! Out of curiosity, what did you cook them on ?

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Daz - sorry for the delayed reply. Fortunately, I see you've been getting lots of great answers from other folks. Bottom line is that it can be difficult to keep smoke in a gasser because it's so thoroughly ventilated to keep it from turning into a propane bomb if something goes wrong. I always had my best luck gasser-smoking on calm days ... otherwise the wind would tend to carry the smoke away.

Get yourself a smoke tube or make some foil "smoke bombs" and enjoy. It can be made to work ...

• Daz
      Daz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for coming back to me - smoke tube sounds interesting. Might be better of just buying a different cooker to play with

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t say "just" a gas grill. I made great ribs on a gasser for years. You can make great ribs in the oven. It’s the method, not the fuel. They come out different, but still great. I mean, jeez: they’re ribs!

You are always going to be your hardest critic. Same with all of us. Your guest loved them and that is all that matters. Next time it will be even easier to produce a great meal and give you some time to experiment and decide what works best for you. Good job.

Comment

• Daz
      Daz commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the feedback.

I haven’t had a lot of success getting smoky flavor on my gas grill, except when using the rotisserie. I figure the meat is higher in the grill using the rotisserie and that’s why. Cooking indirect on a gas grill, the meat is on one side and the wood chips over the fire on the other side. There’s so much airflow on a gas grill that the smoke exits the grill without passing over the meat. I’ve never tried a smoke tube, but that should work well. I say just get a kettle!

Comment

• Daz
      Daz commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense now when you say it. Good point!

Like Red Man says, it's hard to get decent smoke on a gas grill, due to the fact most of it goes up and out, on the end where the burner is running, and never makes it to the indirect zone. I've never tried it myself, as I have an offset as well as a Weber Kettle to smoke on, but would try a smoke tube or smoke pouch next time.

Comment

Looks pretty dang good to me! I have nothing to offer on the smoke than what's been said, but I think I will be using the term Chilly Bin from now on! Way more cool sounding...Now I need to work on my Kiwi accent.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, right there with cat soup eh?

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed, FireMan !!!

I’m with CaptainMike nothing additional to offer, but "chilly bin" is now in my lexicon and that makes me very happy. 😎

Comment

• Daz
        Daz commented
        Editing a comment
        See - you blokes are getting amongst it! Ahumadora, you've obviously rubbed shoulders with a few of us?

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I know what a ute is, it’s a young person.

• Daz
        Daz commented
        Editing a comment
        @ FireMan...I saw what you did there :-) . Well done!

Way to Go, Brother! Knocked one outta th Park!

Certainly, I cain't see thing one to criticize! Looks Great, Amigo!

Bein self critical bout yer product, to me, is simply another way of sayin "I Care Deeply", an, in my own experiences, a highly positive trait to both embrace, an cultivate

Long an short of it is, again, solely my own opinion:

If ya don't care bout th quality of th food ya make, fer goodness sakes, please don't ask, or expect others to eat any of it.

Reckon I've made more mistakes than most ever will, cause I jus keep cookin on, an that's gonna happen, it's a part of it all.

Never git discouraged, an/or beat yerself up bad bout it...

Consider even yer failures, real, or especial self-perceived, as learnin experiences, an try to make every meal yer best work, yet.

Comment

• Daz
        Daz commented
        Editing a comment
        Mate - you ever thought about going into becoming a life coach? Maybe a life coach for cooking? :-) Thanks again for the support

If your guests are happy, your cook was successful. I hope you are seldom 100% happy with your cooks, 'cause if your are, you will stop trying to get better.

Comment

Looks great to me.. when I smoke stuff I always think it is ok but when my buddy smokes it the same way I would.. cuz I taught him it tastes way better.. the best sandwiches I ever ate was one someone else made for me!!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I always tell my wife "that sandwich ain't gonna make it's self"!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd haveta reckon that yer buddy likely has said th same, bout yer smoker meats...

• Daz
          Daz commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny how that happens eh!

Great cook! The best part, while you’re critical of yourself, is seeing how much your food was loved and inhaled. Seems to be an indicator that you’re on the right track. Well done.

I’m a big fan of the Amazin’ Smoke Tube with pellets for extra smoke. May be harder to get smoke flavor on a gasser, however, certainly think it’s worth a try.

Not gonna lie I’ll be labeling the cooler on my dog trailer the "chilly bin."

Looking forwars to seeing and reading more!

Comment

• Daz
          Daz commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha. That's excellent! Do you do competition stuff?

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the bare minimum competition stuff with the dogs. I primarily hunt wild birds and then train them in the summer. I have a new pup I’m working with now and he will take some time, but, think he has all the tools.

Good effort! The fun is to keep tinkering and trying different things, I'm all for mods to your rig by the way. Especially if it helps to get the flavour you want.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here