Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone take their bacon to the market to be sliced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone take their bacon to the market to be sliced?

I might try this with my next batch.

If I was buying my pork bellies from the butcher I'm sure they would be happy to do it. So far I've just been making bacon from my sister's pork.

Comment

Following this. I have wondered if this is something that could be done. I would much rather go this route than to buy (and clean) my own slicer.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly

Ingenious

Comment

Technically meat markets are not supposed to use their equipment on any meat products coming from the outside general public. Health department frowns on that. They have no control of where it's been or how it's been prepared or prepped. When meat is brought in from a vendor their is a chain of custody so to speak so if there is a problem it can be traced back to where it started.

I have a friend who is a meat manager at one of the local grocery stores. I've bought bellies from him cured and smoked them at home and brought back for slicing. He did it but his supervisor said sorry but no more can do. I slice my own now which isn't bad I slice as needed I think it stays fresher that way anyhow and you can get them nice thick slabbers if you want.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This makes sense. I guess I always assumed it wasn't something they were really allowed to do.

In a similar vein to what @Frozen Smoke said, some of the processing plants here in Texas will cut outside meat, such as a hog or cow that was killed elsewhere, but they have to use the wild game saw to do it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here