Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Glaze Help Quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Glaze Help Quickly

I did two double smoked hams last night for a dinner this afternoon. My problem is I might have added too much ham drippings to my remaining Grand Marniew Glaze. When I go to warm the Glaze for dinner I would like it to be much thicker and not as watery. Can I still reduce it? Apply any additives without altering taste? Help needed soon.

Happy Holidays to all passing through the PIT.

If it's not too late, you could reduce it on the stove. Alternatively just glaze it earlier and let it caramelize on the ham a few more minutes. I've even done two coats when the glaze was too thin with just one. If the glaze is just for dipping, I guess the only option is to reduce it or add a thickener.

Comment

• WVsmoke
      WVsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s not too late. It is for dipping so I will just try to reduce the glaze prior to eating. I suppose if necessary I can add Corn Starch as a thickener.
      Thank you for taking time to help Santa Glaze.

I think corn starch will make the glaze cloudy. If that doesn't matter to you, it will do the job. Unflavored gelatin will thicken a little, but it won't make the glaze cloudy.

If you decide to use corn starch, remember to add water to it and stir until a slurry with no lumps forms. Then add to your glaze. And use as little water as possible.

Comment

• WVsmoke
      WVsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the help. It is really nice in today’s world that help and common sense reside in the "Pit". You are the best RonB.

A final thank you shoutout to Chuck in Charlotte & RonB for saving the day. The hams were delicious and acting on both of your suggestions regarding thickening the Grand Mariner Glaze made it a crowd favorite.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it turned out so well. I'd be interested to try that Grand Marnier glaze if you hav a link for the recipe.

• WVsmoke
      WVsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Grand Marnier Glaze
      Makes 2 Cups
      1-1/2 Cups fresh orange juice
      1-Cup Sugar
      6-tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur
      1/4 cup honey
      1/4 cup orange marmalade
      1-tablespoon Dijon mustard
      1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
      1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine ingredients in medium saucepan and bring to a simmer for about 5 min., pass the sauce through a strainer. Return strained mixture to saucepan and bring to a very low boil. Cook until reduced by one third.
      Paint

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here