Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Reheat BUTT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Reheat BUTT

Good morning- I cooked a Butt yesterday for pulled pork today. I cooked a 225 until 175*. Then I wrapped and brought it up to 203. I immediately put in a cooler with ice to stop the cooking process. I did not pull.

What is the best way to reheat so I can pull and serve today?

Thanks!

We usually freeze leftovers in vacuum bags and drop them into boiling water. That works pretty well. If you are talking about reheating the butt before you pull it I think I would leave it wrapped and heat it in the oven at 170 to avoid over cooking it.

Comment

If you stopped the cooking right at 203 it may not be ready to pull you may have to bring it all the way back to 203 and do the same thing but no ice bath and let it rest and gain another 5 degrees. The longer the rest the better.

Comment

Here's the plan. Added apple juice and all the cooking juices to a pan. Covered with foil and will slowly bring back up to temp.

Thanks!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          That should work.

I usually just back up to the wood stove. Oh wait....you were talking about something else.....

Comment

Sous vide, sous vide, sous vide!!!!!

I am becoming a believer. Putting the food immediately in bags after not finishing it, then freezing it (or not if you're going to do it the next day) then throw it in the sous vide a couple of degrees under the desired temp. (It's what they say to do.)

It reheats it w/o recooking it.

Sealed bags in boiling water will work, too, but boiling water is 212, which may cook it more. With sous vide, you can set the temp exactly what you want and walk away. Takes a bit longer, but the results are perfect every time.

Comment

• wcpreston
            wcpreston commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm still rather new to it. I did an hour for a frozen portion-sized bag and it was perfect. The problem is you can't heat it, pull it, then check it with sealed bags. A shorter time might work, too.

I think it's the ultimate way to reheat.

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Your temp is 200 sous vide?

• wcpreston
            wcpreston commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually I put it at the serving temp of pork, which is 153. I don't think you have to take it up to 203 to remelt the collagen, that's already been done.

Reheated threw in a crockpot to serve. Big hit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here