Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First rib rack cooked on the GMG Davy Crockett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rib rack cooked on the GMG Davy Crockett

Had fun on Saturday cooking my first rack of baby backs on the GMG wood pellet grill that I purchased about a month ago. I used what I'll call a "modified Huskee" rib rub and prepped the night before since the rub contains salt and had the meat in the fridge overnight. I used less cumin and cayenne, and added paprika. Probably should have used less table salt or substituted sea salt or kosher salt. I used the Mav 733 to monitor grill temp and compared to the GMG readout on the app for my smartphone. I really love the wifi feature on the GMG controller. Results shown below.

Huskee So I'd have to say that this was mostly successful. Taste was fantastic! (Thanks Huskee!) But I've got to get a better handle on grill temps left to right and front to back to avoid over-cooking or under-cooking.
    Also, I'll probably trim the rack to get a full slab in the grill next time rather than cutting it in half. The Davy Crockett has some size limitations and I'd really like to get two racks in there rather than one that's cut in half. One rack disappeared before I had my "fair share"!!!
    Last edited by Ray; February 17, 2015, 01:25 PM.

They look GREAT... I am jealous of your awesome smoke ring!

Comment

Looks great to me!

Comment

Thanks, guys.....yeah, they didn't last long!

Comment

Congrats on getting a DC wifi Ray!! I am currently cooking a chicken on my DC and it looks great. Your ribs really looked good and I am glad you like your DC.

Comment

Thanks, Barry. I've had a lot of fun with the DC. Absolutely love the wifi.....extremely useful! And, most importantly, love the flavor of the cook from the wood fire.

Comment

Should have posted these as 'large'.to begin with....duh! Still learning the site, sorry. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	61280 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	61281 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	61282
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here