Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Porchetta... how shall I cook it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Porchetta... how shall I cook it

I ordered a porchetta for our Christmas dinner. It’s the side of the pig, loin with skin still attached and the belly and skin, all in one piece. The idea is to roll it up like a jelly roll, and get the skin crispy. I could smoke in a BGE or Pellet grill, but I’m thinking rotisserie over a wood fire. Any other opinions, others have experience with this cut? Is it Christmas yet??

I'd say that rotisserie sounds like great fun!

Comment

However you cook it you will need to really crisp up the skin. I think this is the most important part of a porchetta.
      Last edited by jecucolo; December 19, 2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        This is it and why I am opting for a more traditional ham this year.

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too. Going to do the Easter Ham recipe. It always turns out good.

Here's a write up I did a while back making a Porchetta from scratch. There may be some tips in there to help with your cook. Good luck !!!

A Porchetta (pronounced por-ketta) is yet another example of the national cuisine of Italy. Like the Filipino Lechon, it is a whole pig roasted over coals until the meat is done and

Comment

• jecucolo
        jecucolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice write up. I cooked last year and didn’t get a crispy skin.

One technique I found was from Tom Jackson, Video on The Sauce You Tube channel, was to baste the roast in hot oil after it comes off the grill. Looked like it really crisped up the skin.

Porchetta is an Italian classic, and for good reason! This savory, juicy, delicious cut of meat is the stuff pork lover’s dreams are made of! Fire up the Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill, it’s Grilled Porchetta time!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That works pretty well. I've done it before with duck as well.

Great write up Troutman. I also watched Scott Rea doing Porchetta.

Here is another one, Gennero is a kick!

Comment

I just want to throw out a semi-orthodox idea out there: I do porchetta without the skin, i.e. I trim it off. I do it simply because I'm not a big fan of the skin, crispy or not. Don't know if that is an option for you, just wanted to let you know that that option exists. I guess there's more than one way to skin a......pig

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here