Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the saddle today w/a pork butt, have a fun work event in a couple of months too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the saddle today w/a pork butt, have a fun work event in a couple of months too

After Thanksgiving everything got crazy busy, and I haven't had a chance to use the Grand Slam. This morning I put an end to that streak, putting on a Boston Butt at 6 am. Looking forward to that later today. Currently at 175F, though, so I bumped up the temps a tad.

Now, the work event. Last February or so we had a little shin-dig we called the ribcapolypse, where we had some junior engineers assigned to go out to some of the wonderful Austin area BBQ joints and bring back pork ribs from Style's Switch, La Barbecue, and Micklethwait's - along with two of the guys in our group cooking. Two racks were bought or done by each, and then they were sliced up and the crowd given two ribs from each and then given the 'task' of scoring their favorite. La Barbecue won, though the scores were extremely close...

This year, due to some job transfers, it seems that we're going to have more of a competition between engineering teams and less of a focus on bringing in local joints. (I wanted to task the junior engineers with reaching out further - it IS an engineering exercise to make it all the way out to Lockhart and Llano and bring back ribs on time (and still warm) for a coordinated lunch.) I got volunteered as an entrant for our engineering team, so I'll be practicing pork ribs after the start of the New Year. And I'm going to lobby for the shin-dig to be renamed an annual "rib-gatta" since it has much less of an end-of-times connotation and since a regatta is a series of sailboat races, a rib-gatta should be a series of eating pork ribs. Or something like that.

I lobby for "Wib-gotta". Gotta have dem wibs! In the end even.

Comment

Sounds like fun whatever you call it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here