Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis, Texas Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis, Texas Dust

At the risk of offending Meathead, I'm trying a little adaptation of his fantastic Memphis Dust pork rib rub. Texans have an unholy love affair with black pepper it seems. So, I made up a batch of the Memphis Dust as God intended. But before applying to some SLC's, I put a thin layer of coarse black pepper on the ribs...heavier on the underside and a bit lighter on the meat side. Then liberally applied "The Dust".

Using the Pit Barrel Cooker with 1.5 racks of SLC's. I cut them into half racks to try and keep a more even temperature on them (rather than having the tips dragging near the coals). I'm also using extra wood for the smoke, just to see how much of a difference it makes on flavor.

My target is 225-degrees for 5.5 hours. Back later with an update...

Sweet. I substitute the Ginger and Rosemary, with Allspice and Thyme, respectively.

Comment

• ATXBill
      ATXBill commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

We love black pepper around our homestead, so your idea sounds very tasty. Black pepper and sugar are so good together when smoking pork. I like the Memphis dust recipe as well, but I like my rub better, as it is adjusted to my own preferences and desires for complexity in flavor. Your ribs look fantastic.

Comment

• ATXBill
      ATXBill commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a great combo indeed. Sweet with a bite.

3 hours in and the PBC is holding Steady Eddie at 223-degrees. Love this "cooker"...

Comment

5.25 hours in with temps fluctuating between 223-230...but mostly holding at 225. Just slathered the ribs with a smokey bourbon enhanced sauce. Letting the PBC breathe up to 270 or so to crust the sauce. Planning to give it another 45 minutes.

Comment

Final report: 223-230 degrees for 5.5 hours + 30 minutes at 280 wrapped in foil. All done in the PBC. Memphis Dust + moderately applied black pepper. Finished with Cattleman's sauce with bourbon mixed in. My 14 year old daughter's eyes rolled back in her head. My work here is done. (Roasted Kale to give ourselves the reassurance that rib dinners are healthy.) Note: The PBC was amazing. It was still putting out 266-degrees after 8 hours.

PS: The PBC initially spiked to 310 degrees, before I put the ribs on. I choked down on 3 hanging rod holes, and after about 30 minutes, it came down to 220. Meat went on. It hovered at 225-230 rock steady for the next 5.5 hours. Amazing. If anything, I could have let it go another half hour but not longer. Good luck!

​
        Last edited by ATXBill; February 10, 2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

A very nice cook sir! The beauty of black pepper is when in a long cook, its character changes to a mellow savory goodness. You nailed your cook well, says this old line dog!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks great Bill.

Comment

Will have to give it a go. You do wonders with ribs!

Comment

Try adding mace and freshly toasted and ground cumin to the Memphis dust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here