Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should I Do with a Full Packer Bone-in Pork Loin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Should I Do with a Full Packer Bone-in Pork Loin?

I was going to go this solo, but got inspired to poll the PIT for opinions, being sidetracked just now by comments on pork ribs. The loin has been Kosher coarse salted, wrapped in butcher paper and in the fridge @ ~ 39F for a couple days. I simply pulled my last one, and want go another direction. Some of MY ideas were:

Separate into 2-bone sections and Blasphemy-style the chops.

French the bones back, and smoke whole for a crown-type table presentation. Use the tip remnants for pork chili for two.

Now, I'm 'pulling' a blank. ?? Thanks in advance to anyone chiming in

I say french em. I have always wanted to do that but haven't worked up the nerve. So I figure I can just live vicariously through yours.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      me too - low on guts. I'm willing to be stupid and brave this time. Whatever I do, I'll post back.

• SmokingSteve
      SmokingSteve commented
      Editing a comment
      What is "french" in reference to?

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      SmokingSteve 'Frenching' is cutting back the meat at the tip of the bone, to expose a lot more bone. Steaks from single prime ribs like this are called Tomahawks. Look at a pic of a crown of lamb. You'll get the idea. I 'handle', if you will.

Make chops

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't want to just cut it up into singe chops because I currently have it whole, but single-chop dipped in sauce pork is a LOU tradition. Still - I'm thinking 'unique'.

You mean one of these? What's a "full packer" pork loin?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork roast 01.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	607021

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Did you trim the tips or did it just reduce from a long cook, because that's the look I'm going for?
      Last edited by JGo37; December 13, 2018, 08:32 PM.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Now thats what I am talking about.

well now ..... a bone in pork loin sounds like fun. Personally think I would french it and serve it that way.

Comment

Here’s what I’ve done before but it’s hard to explain. Remove every other bone so you have full meat on both sides of each chop. Now use a paring knife and make a big pocket from the front edge back to the bone almost like a butterfly but leave the top and bottom intact. Now stuff with whatever you want. I use spicy sausage, thick bread crumbs, diced apples and cheese.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Just remember that loins cook at an amazing rate!!! That’s one thing I can never understand is how fast a pork loin can get done!

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds fun!

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I know they cook fast - that's why I moved that last one to Cambro and pulled it. I want to keep that full-packer look this time. If nothing else I'll make your stuffing on the side and finish in CI after I move the loin. Next one, I'll cut in half and try your plan on one half and single out chops from the other.

That roast has my vote!

Comment

I did a SRF one awhile back. Low and slow on the stick burner and rotated it a few times to cook evenly. It was about 8lbs I think. Sprtized it a couple times during the cook. Tented it in foil after removing from the smoke cut into chops and drizzled some Swine Apple glaze down the center and smoked pineapple ring in between each chop. Nothing fancy and pretty straight forward but it was excellent!

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got the pineapple to accompany whatever I do tomorrow, too.

use a knife and some fishing line (neat trick) to french it out, then partially slice through The loin and truss up into a crown roast. Maybe freeze for a bit first, and serve with an apple stuffing for Christmas. Makes a fantastic presentation.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          i use a small diameter kevlar braid, seriously

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I typically don't fish with anything more than 12# test

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Then Troutman must not often catch anything over 80 lbs.

This was pretty tasty!! Only time I have done this was a couple years ago for a throwdown but it disappeared pretty quick!!

Comment

Yup, it's a real crown pleaser; it looks elegant and kind of sexy but it's fairly easy to do ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	crown 06.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	607338

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is a true challenge I'm facing. Both a journey and a quest. Exemplary dish, sir.

Smoked, stuffed, glazed, smoked again? Butterflied at the start, or stage two? Or am I way off?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here