Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practicing My Rib Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practicing My Rib Cooks

Still working on my technique but I'm getting better. Followed HowToBBQRight's process. Used his AP Rub and Oakridge Secret Weapon. Wrapped with butter and brown sugar and a little apple juice. Came out very tasty.

Attached Files

Looks good!

My favorite ribs are Last Meal Ribs, here on AR, and most recently, Blasphemy Ribs, which you can find out about here in The Pit.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to decide what to do with a full packer bone-in pork loin. Cutting up into 2-bone for blasphemy style comes to mind. Or frenching to get that crown-look is in the running. OK - I'll post for suggestions now.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Will check that out. Blasphemy as well.

Practicing? Those are good looking ribs. What did you cook them on, how, and what other results are you looking for?

Comment

Cooked on my Humphrey's Queb'd Battle Box. Trying to get the right flavor profile. My wife and 5 YO don'y like spicy so I am trying for tangy and sweet. Also the past few ribs were a touch over done. Great to eat but a little to fall off the bone. I am trying to get a feel for when the ribs are done. I like mine with a little bit of crispness so I am practicing.

These could have used a bit more smoke. I am learning my new smoker as well.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't done this with SLC ribs, but I would think it would be in the same ballpark. The bend test works well for those, but not as well for BBR's, which is why I check the temp instead.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am looking at getting a cabinet smoker. How are you liking this one? I am torn between this and the Chubby Backwoods.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Works great. Takes a while to heat up but hold temp rock steady for hours. I use a Pitviper fan and Fireboard. Tons of real-estate on it. Only complaint I have ever heard is the potential to rust but I store mine in the garage. Any other questions ask away I'll be happy to help.

Can you let us know when and where your next practice session is going to be please?

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL...you Bet!

Those are some good looking ribs. I too use the Oakridge Secret Weapon, it's even good on chicken !!!

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife doesn't like things overly spicy so Secret Weapon is great. More on the sweet and savory side rather than a sharp heat.

I'd say your days of practicing are over.

Comment

Ribs are looking good!

Comment

Nice looking ribs! Looks and sounds like you are gearing up for competition cooking? As far as knowing when they are done the bend test is the fool proof method I use but if you wrap your ribs this method isn't really possible which is one reason I have never wrapped. You are right on with the Oak Ridge Secret Weapon that stuff along with all their other stuff is great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here