Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever seen this before? Double rib bones in baby backs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever seen this before? Double rib bones in baby backs.

I haven't made ribs in a while so maybe I just don't remember somehow, but isn't this wrong? On the top right and bottom left you can see that there is an offset row of bones. They seem very short, maybe an inch or so.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Double Bone Ribs.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	60511

That's just plain strange.

Comment

Siamese twins

Comment

Vertebrae?

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking it might be pieces of the "hook" part of the bone where it meets the spine if they band sawed it just a little bit "down rib" from where they normally do.

I wasn't sure, but i'm gonna let them have them back, doesn't look like a lot of meat in there. Land carp i suppose

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          By the way, the photo is upside down.

You don't want baby backs with too much meat on them because the extra meat will be lean (read "dry") white loin meat. Not so appetizing on low and slow ribs.

Comment

Extra bones on pork ribs, extra legs on chickens. Germ cell malfunction.

Comment

I find it occasionally on the thicker side of the slab, but usually only 2-3 doubles. Drives me crazy when I'm cutting them.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you know what they are from? I'm not 100% on hog anatomy but I don't know why those would be there. Are they maybe from the neck or something?

• OGMrWhite
              OGMrWhite commented
              Editing a comment
              I have no idea why they are there. I just did a quick google and could not find anything.

I hear ya MrWhite. I think every rack in my last 135lbs buy of Indiana Kitchen had them. I was trimming them out at one point but gave up

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here