Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming of pork butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming of pork butts

How much trimming ate you folks doing of pork butts you get in cryovac from the warehouse club stores? I bought a2 pack from Sam's club which was 15+ lbs on the package. After I was done trimming the fat side there was about 12 lbs of roast left. There was still some fat in veins between the muscles. How much, if any, of that fat do you folks trim off? DEW

Dewesq55... I don't trim between the muscles. That will cook off during your low and slow cook. Whenever I trim butts I use all of the fat to make Meathead's "Beef Love". I put it in a big sauce pan and render it into a liquid. I Let the rendered fat cool to room temperature and then I pour it into ice cube trays and put them in the freezer. Once they are frozen I take them out of the trays and put them in a freezer bag. I use Beef Love on my steaks instead of canola oil. When I want to use it I take a cube out of the freezer and Nuke it in the microwave to make it a liquid again. Don't waste that fat!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      DEW... You're using pork fat on steaks. That makes it Beef Love. Meathead did an article about beef love and where he discovered it.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I know. In that article he says to use suet (beef fat) not pork fat. Just saying.

DEW

It's not "beef love" if it's pork fat, is it? I have bagged up the fat and trimmings and put them in the freezer for a time I might want to make sausage.

DEW

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I thought, Dr. ROK. I put the fat with some trimmings in a ziploc freezer bag and thought I will use it to make sausage eventually. I got a good-looking andouille recipe from Hank Snow that I want to try some day.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Love andouille! Be sure to share your experience when you do it

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You know I will - good or bad, I'm expecting good.

I trim all of the fat I can from the exterior, anything that gets left just slides off at the end, I would rather have bark instead. I get mine from Sam's too and the amount fluctuates quite a bit. Usually though you can get an idea of how thick the fat cap is by looking at it through the bottom. 3 pounds is probably at the high end though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here