Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best pork tenderloin method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best pork tenderloin method?

Hi Pit! Thanks to Meathead, Amazing Ribs, The Pit, and digital thermometers, I am now asked regularly to cook for our community. I've just been asked to cook 16 pork tenderloins (the little, tender guys app. 1lb each) for a holiday party. I've got a Mak1 pellet grill (love it) Weber gas with Grill Grates (love it!) and a ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide (love it). I could put them on the pellet grill until they hit 140, just cook them at high temp on the gasser, or sous vide, chill, then smoke. While I'm pretty sure any of the above would be more than satisfactory, I'm really looking to hit it out of the park. I will be transporting a short distance (5-10 minute "drive") in a faux cambo and then serving out of the faux cambro as the guests eat potluck / buffet style. I love Meathead's pork loin recipe, but don't see one dedicated to pork tenderloin. What do you guys think??!! Party is tomorrow night so I should probably decide today, particularly if it involves sous vide. Thanks in advance!!

I have done as many as 4 of these at a time on my kettle with SnS and small piece of apple for smoke. I keep the cook temp at 275-300 and I cook to an internal temp of 125 and then sear them. They turn out wonderful.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I'd recommend if you're using an outdoor cooker.

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      Wanted to add that my local, "almost big box" grocer frequently has small pork tenderloins in the must be sold by bargain bin for $1.99 per package. Practically giving it away. Some are plain and some are pre-marinated. IMO the key is to not overcook them. I much prefer pork tenderloin south of the 140-145 mark.

What's the best bake potato recipe?

Essentially the pork loin is the bake potato of the meat world. Unlimited combinations of stuffings and what not. Keep it simple like RustyHaines or search the forum for some wonderful recipes from members.

Make sure and let us know how it turns out with pictures!

Comment

I do a lot of pork tenderloins; either rolled as a roulade or bacon wrapped or both. Since they are so tender they don't need a lot of cooking per se, your target of 140* in spot on. If holding in a faux cambro you might even want to pull a little sooner and trust the carryover.

What they lack; however, is flavor, tending to be a bit bland by themselves. I suggest looking for a stuffed solution, or combine with other ingredients, bacon wrap or utilize a nice sweet/hot glaze as a finish. Try to get some sear on the outside, just be careful as you don't want to dry them out. As Jerod Broussard mentions, there are a ton of recipes in the Pork Channel. Good luck with your cook and gives us some visual results !!!

Comment

I like to do Pork Tenderloins on my Pellet Grill at 375-400 and cook them to 140*. If it were me I'd salt them lightly a few hours before and season with your favorite Pork Seasoning. I'm not sure about the Cambro/Transport you need to do but I'd probably be sure to not let them go higher than 140* when you take them off. Will you wrap them in foil for the transport? Maybe 3-4 together in each wrap? Keep us posted--Good luck!

Comment

Pounded into steaks, thrown on the grill & sauced up. Then lay it on some grits and corn.

With beef prices up 80% (chuck roast) over the last few years, my family has been eating a lot more alternatives. So I was excited to try this new recipe (May/June 2014), even though it is still to…

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Tenderloin Steaks.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	602870

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the look of that sauce, almost a chimichurri type, looks good and compliments the pork, amping up the flavor profiles. Nice example of how to treat pork tenderloin.

If there's a grill at the location, do the IT to 125F, cambro them, then sear when you get there.

Comment

When I do pork tenderloin, I cook indirect at 350'ish .... don't cook low and slow, you will turn the poor thing into shoe leather. I paint it with Meathead's Columbia Gold a couple times. When the tenderloin is about 125, I sear really quickly and pull .... the meat will be 135-140 and carryover hits 145 no problem.

Make sure to dry brine. I like a little smoke, but not too much. I don't want to overload that meat with smoke taste.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
              When I do pork tenderloin, I cook indirect at 350'ish .... don't cook low and slow, you will turn the poor thing into shoe leather. I paint it with Meathead's Columbia Gold a couple times. When the tenderloin is about 125, I sear really quickly and pull .... the meat will be 135-140 and carryover hits 145 no problem.

Make sure to dry brine. I like a little smoke, but not too much. I don't want to overload that meat with smoke taste.

Hope that helps.
              Was cruising the forums looking for a simple recipe and found this. Worked excellent!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad I could help. I like pork tenderloin and it's absurdly easy to cook a good one :-)

I always lightly salt, sous vide at 135 for 2-3 hours, dry, rub and sear. Then the creativity comes in. honey glaze while searing (1/2 cup honey, 2 T apple cider vinegar, 1 T soy sauce)? bbq sauce? lemon pepper rub? hot and spicy rub? use in fired rice?

Comment

Reverse sear the suckers. Smoke at 225 on the pellet smoker, to about 125 internal, then sear on the gasser. Season however you like. It's commodity pork, it goes with everything.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is my fav method for thick pork chops. The reverse sear step gives it plenty of time to pick up a nice smokey hit of flavor.

Kathryn

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A pork tenderloin is basically the same thing as the dark side of a T-bone chop. It all works out.

My preferred method for 1 lb tenderloins: sous-vide at 135° for 1.5 hours, then apply some oil and a rub and sear lightly on a 500° griddle or grate. Pork tenderloins never take a good hard sear without drying out, IMO. And a 500° griddle/grate ensures that the rub does not burn during the quick sear step.

This way, for me, they turn out perfect every.single.time.

Kathryn

Comment

Reverse sear on the kettle.
                  we either buy the pre marinated, or marinate and vac seal before freezing.
                  I don't really monitor grill temp, just meat temp.
                  Indirect with charcoal and a hunk of hickory for a little smoke.
                  cook to about 125, then a quick sear to get a little char. Pull at 140-145, and let test for 10-15 minutes.
                  Learning that 145 temp was safe, and using a thermometer to get that, has made all the difference...

Comment

Similar to fracmeister, I salt the tenderloin, add fresh rosemary and thyme, and sous vide for 1-2 hours at 140 degF. Finish it off in a pan frying with some olive oil and butter or just on the gas grill for some good browning.
                    I have not tried the reverse sear, but that would be a great option to get some smokiness on the tenderloin.
                    With either option you cannot go wrong.

Comment

• TripleB
                      TripleB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As you, fracmeister and fzxdoc mentioned regarding SV. Been looking for something a bit different for cooking next week. Will have to give the SV pork tenderloin a try. The thing that I do not like about SV is that the fat does not render well. The pork tenderloin being so lean, this will work out better - I think.

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TripleB , with great suggestions on another (older) topic on cooking pork chops, I've learned that SV'ing pork at 135° is perfect, since the carryover heat and the heat from searing bring the meat up to 140°-143°, right where it's nice and juicy.

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 18, 2022, 05:27 AM.

YOU CAN go wrong by treating it like we do brisket or pork butts and smoke to 203! Unless your goal is to make shoe leather!

Comment

• Finster
                      Finster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I bet you won't do that again....😄

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here