Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling pig tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling pig tomorrow

I’m smoking a suckling pig tomorrow for the first time! Here it is brining in water, salt, apple cider vinegar, rosemary, onions and apples, per Aaron Franklin’s brine for whole hog. I’ll post pics of the process tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	0DECB566-2042-4195-A839-50A5776263FC.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	597042

Mr bones beans, a suckling pig.,......,.what is happening here

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Nirvana!

Please post details and results of your cook when time allows. When my new Blazin Grillworks GI arrives, I'll do the same. All the best!!!

Comment

Lookin' forward to the results.

Comment

So, results time:

The whole cook lasted about 3 hours, maybe a little more. It took 3 hours to get to 145f in the deepest part of the hams, so I took it out and let it rest for about 15 minutes. I didn't notice, however, that the skin was not crispy, but really chewy. While I did enjoy the flavor of the meat A LOT, next time I need to put it over some direct fire for a few minutes to get that crispy texture on the skin, which was my aim. Sadly I couldn't put it back because we had already cut it into pieces, and that was my guests' main compliant, the lack of crunchy skin.

So, positive on the flavor, negative on the skin texture. The meat was so incredibly juicy though, that some of my guest thought it was undercooked (it wasn't, I triple checked with a Thermoworks). But since most people (especially down here) are used to dry, flavorless pork, they were confused. Some even refused eating after someone said it was undercooked.

Oh well, I'll have to try again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5599.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	598637Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5648.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	598635
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5605.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	598638Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5632.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	598636

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Barktothebone

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I get this brine from you, Please?

I've only done a couple of sucklings but was given this advice prior to;

1) Get the heat up and really try to crisp the skin, otherwise it's shoe leather low and slow. Over live fire is best !!
        2) Try to get the fat layer off the back of the skin....PITA but it helps a lot
        3) Think about torching or pouring hot oil over the skin after the cook
        3) Remove the skin at the end and either deep fry it or cut it into strips and put it back on high heat

It's one of those conundrums like poultry skin, difficult to do right. Your's looks great, I'll bet the meat was delicious regardless !!!

Comment

• gijsveltman
          gijsveltman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks as usual Troutman! I got the heat up to about 400f for the last 5-10 minutes of the cook, but apparently it needed more. I think next time I'll put it over a roaring wild fire, because I do want to leave the skin on. I guess I'll just keep going with the trial and error! Thanks for the advice!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm drooling!

Wow! Awesome cook!!! How cool!

Comment

• gijsveltman
          gijsveltman commented
          Editing a comment
          It was pretty fun! Will definitely be repeated soon, perhaps for a little holiday gathering!

Well done my friend. Looks delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here