Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-traditional (turkey-free) Thanksgiving - Bacon wrapped stuffed pork loin and SV'd Picanha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-traditional (turkey-free) Thanksgiving - Bacon wrapped stuffed pork loin and SV'd Picanha

Daughter in law is not a fan of turkey, so Thanksgiving meal was bacon wrapped smoked stuffed pork loin, SV'd picanha roast, potato salad, spinach salad, herb buttered baguette, and blueberry crisp for desert. (oh and I left out the obligatory french fries for the younger set. Anyway, here's a few pictures . . .

Pork Loin in smoker at 300º with apple to 140º IT:

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	596681

Seared on CI skillet to crisp the bacon a bit:

Name:	sear pork loin.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	596682

And ready:

Name:	loin.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	596683

Picanha SV'd at 135º fo 3 hours then seared on the Smokey Joe:

Name:	searing.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	596684

Name:	seared picanha.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	596685

Name:	picanha.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	596686

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	596687

Name:	family.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	596688

Good times! That all looks great but wow that Picanha!

Comment

I’d eat that over turkey any day. Beautiful. I like turkey, but I like pork and beef even more.

Comment

Looks like you have that meal dialed in!!! Nice work!!

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Everyone looks happy! So, I'm not familiar with what piranha is. Could you fill us in? Beautiful sear, which is the way I would like the bacon wrap. I assume SV'd is Sous Vide, correct? Thanks for sharing this is inspiring!

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Picanha is a cut of beef that's not particularly well known in the US but is quite popular in Brazil (and in Brazilian restaurants in the US). It is also known as sirloin tip cap, rump cap and/or coulotte in the US. It is usually cut into thick slices and cooked hot and fast on a skewer . . . Yes, by SV I was referring to sous vide.

OK I see. You did the stuffed pork loin and also the piranha. I was thinking all the same cut of meat, but now see you did both. Nice job, and thanks for sharing. What did u stuff the pork with?

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Stuffed with something like boliche stuffing - fresh chorizo sausage, sweet onion, queso oaxaca cheese and a little thyme.

That looks really good, perfect for a family gathering like this!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That photo of the family with those smiles . . . . . that is why we cook, eh?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here