Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes for Pork Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes for Pork Belly

I just picked up a 4lb pork belly from the butcher. I want to cook it, but I don’t want to make bacon out of it. And I don’t have a Sous-vide machine. What is the best way to cook this??

Burnt ends and bahn mi come to mind.

Comment

Bahn Mi absolutely

This rich and flavor packed tested recipe for our smoked pork belly version of the classic Vietnamese banh mì sandwich is sure to make your knees buckle. The recipe hits all the right notes for a perfect banh mì, including succulent BBQ pork belly burnt ends, spicy jalapeños, savory mayo, and tangy pickled veggies.

Also there is this

Time for pork! We’re making a savory pork belly, a food darling in a lot of major restaurants right now, especially those featuring Asian and Latin cuisines.

Comment

Or this for traditional crispy pork belly appetizers

I think you could do the roasting bit by smoking on the pellet grill and then follow this recipe from there on

Comment

I've don't burnt ends and bacon. Delicious. I also just smoked one once and that was a fatty piece of meat. I had to cut it up and fry it down. I think I made fried rice with some of it.

Comment

I made Shanghaiese red-cooked pork belly a couple of nights ago.

I blanched the bellies in salted water for 10 minutes, then rinsed to make the final sauce clearer.

Brown sugar, ginger, star anise, whole cloves, garlic, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, pepper flakes, and some black vinegar.

After blanching, I cut the bellies into large cubes. I heated a bit of oil in the bottom of a pressure cooker, then lightly browned the bellies, then removed them temporarily to a plate, then added the brown sugar until it melted. Added the other ingredients, then put the bellies back. Added about a 1-1/2 cups of water, then sealed the cooker and brought it up to pressure. 25 minutes, then slow release.
            Last edited by RobertC; November 21, 2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

All great ideas! Thanks guys. I’ll post some photos of the final decision. I think I’ll take a little of everything. I’ve got a plan.

Comment

A plan is a good thing to have . . . . so is good bourbon for when the plan does or does not work.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
                  Blackshirt BBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m making the Hot Southern Comfort Cider as well. Haha
                  Last edited by Blackshirt BBQ; November 21, 2018, 05:01 PM.

Rub it down and smoke it. Almost nothing better.

Comment

That’s about it!

Comment

I've failed at pork belly a few times. However in Vegas recently I had some amazing kebabs at an Asian restaurant. I asked how they did them and they said, quick fry, 4-hour braise, then grill. A similar method when I had the best pork belly I have tried at HooDoo Brown BBQ in NY but they finish fry if memory serves. I will definitely be trying the braise then grill method soon- Attached are some pics from HooDoo Brown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8578.JPG
Views:	1864
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	595974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8577.JPG
Views:	1854
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	595972 ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8559.JPG
Views:	1852
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	595973 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Here is another recipe that I have tried and it was simply awesome. That was from those that sampled it and not just my impression. Certainly worthy of your consideration.
                      Pork Belly Burnt Ends Recipe - Pork belly smoked, then cooked with butter and brown sugar until tender. Finished with a Sweet Glaze.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
                        Blackshirt BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s funny! That’s the recipe I actually used last night! They have some great recipes!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here