Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am getting pretty casual about these pulled pork cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting pretty casual about these pulled pork cooks

After five of them on my pellet smoker I picked up an 8.5 pounder last night, trimmed and salted it. Tonight I oiled it up a little and laid on the MMDust. In the AM (0500) I plan on firing up the (Yoder 640) pellet grill and when the temp hits 225F toss on the boston butt, shower and go to work. Sure, I will check in at noon or so and ask the temperatures (thank you Maverick) and my wife will call me when it is 175 or so and I will head home.... toss in the 18 bacon wrapped jalapeno cream cheese bits I made tonight (garden grown jalapenos---waiting in the freezer). and pull it out when done for friends coming over tomorrow night. Spousal unit is cooking the beans and cole slaw is made. Sauces all done from last time. Should be plenty of leftovers but these guests will be taking most of it home. Yes, that pellet grill has spoiled me. Just hope it continues to work like a charm.
    Last edited by fracmeister; February 2, 2015, 09:12 PM. Reason: typo

Hope your weather is better than mine, seems once I go below 32F my max temp drops 100 degrees.

Comment

Frac, the pellet grill will spoil you. I know as I have two of them.

Comment

Spousal unit... That's a good term. When I do long low and slow cooks on my BGE my spousal unit knows enough about adjusting the lower vent to maintain the temp while I'm at work. We know the BGE well enough now that we can do a double butt cook without opening the dome at all on a 16 to 18 hour cook. There is no need to add lump coal on long cooks like that either.

Comment

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post
          .... toss in the 18 bacon wrapped jalapeno cream cheese bits I made tonight (garden grown jalapenos---waiting in the freezer). and pull it out when done for friends coming over tomorrow night.
          Are you using jalapeños you froze to make your poppers, or had you already stuffed the jalapeños before freezing them?

Comment

I stuffed the jalapenos and wrapped them with raw bacon and froze them...I like to put them on frozen as it seems (maybe I am delusional) that it helps keep the cream cheese in. That is the way I have been doing it....

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              How long does it take to cook frozen ones?

I hear ya on the butts. I like those for overnight cooks. I get a lot more sleep than I do with briskets.

Comment

So much for talking. Here is the blog entry. Here are the pics.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n59662[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n59663[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n59664[/ATTACH] The pics

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now thats dinner. Great job. Looks great

14 hours to get to 199 and the bone was very loose so I pulled the pork off and left it in foil for 30 minutes.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you wrap while it was cooking? Or only after you pulled it off?

Looks great, frac. I just bought 15+ lb 2 pack of butts from Sam's club. Will probably smoke one soon and freeze the other in the new freezer coming tomorrow.

Comment

I wouldn't call it wrapping in the conventional style. I left it in foil 3o minutes because I had to run down the street 15 minutes and pick up some dinner guests (LDS missionaries...it was raining). My only problem with the Sam's was that they were boneless and I had to do some SERIOUS knot work on them.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The ones I just bought at Sam's are not boneless. They are regular butts with the blade bone

Comment

Good. Maybe I was thinking Costco!

Comment

I tried a no-peekie Butt Cook last week. Put them on at 10 pm, checked vents at midnight, then when I left for work at 730. Ready to go around noon. #Nice

Jrod, I'm with you, I would have paid more attn if it was a brisket!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here