Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork tenderloin roast "gravy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork tenderloin roast "gravy"

I cooked up a pork tenderloin roast this evening using the S&G rub and using the process MH describes for beef roasts (there was nothing in specific on the website for doing a pork tenderloin roast other than the stuffed one).

I dry brined it for a few hours, then added the rub, set the oven (yes, indoors...it's -20°C right now) for 250F and put it in. I put a water pan on the lowest rack, and just put the roast on the middle rack position. When it got to about 135F I turned off the oven, turned on the broiler, got the roast up nice and close to the broiler and reverse seared it on all sides. The outside was a little crusty, but not overly - very tasty. The inside might have cooked a little too much as it was just on the verge of being dry. It wasn't exactly juicy, but it wasn't really dry either. Thermometer showed 145 when I finished though so it was close. We only really had the end pieces though and didn't dig in to the very middle. Maybe that'll be a little more tender and juicy. It did have a very uniform colour bumper to bumper though. Next time I'll try the reverse sear when the roast is between 125 and 130. Maybe that'll help.

Anyway, I told my mother this story/process and she thought she might give it a try. Then she asked about the gravy (Dad tends to like the gloppy gravy, particularly for the potatoes. He's not about to change his mind any time soon either). I told her I didn't make a gravy for it. At which point I thought maybe I could/should have so I checked the website for a gravy recipe for a pork loin roast, but couldn't really find anything. Then I googled it, and the ones I looked at require you to put the roast in the water/gravy pan, but searing it in a frying pan first.

So, my question - do any of you make a gravy for a pork loin roast? If so, how do you make it? I thought I could do something like the smoked turkey and have some ingredients in the water pan. I had some fat I trimmed from the roast. I could have thrown that in with some more S&G rub, some onions, carrots, celery, apple juice... and water of course.....that's about where I run out of ideas....

Did you today a loin? Or a tenderloin. A loin is at least 4-5 pounds. A tenderloin is a little fine of soft meat that's about a pond and a half. I have never seen a gravy for a tenderloin. To make one for a loin roast cooked on a smoker would require, IMHO, having a pre-made pork stock and maybe some bacon fat. As an aside, I love roux-based meat gravy and don't think they need to be disparaged as goopy or gloppy. If made properly, they shouldn't be.

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
      SaskatoonBusche commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a loin, not a tenderloin. I referred to it as both in my post. Sorry about that.

You could always make a pan gravy by searing the meat on the stove top instead of the oven so you get a nice fond in the pan to help flavor your gravy. Add a TBS or 2 of oil, a TBS or 2 of flour and gently brown the roux to your desired color. You want to at least cook out the rawness of the flour. Add chicken broth, beef broth, combo of both or just add milk for a cream gravy. Simmer to desired thickness. Taste and adjust s & p to taste.

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
      SaskatoonBusche commented
      Editing a comment
      excellent. thanks for the info.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here