Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking A Suckling Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking A Suckling Pig

Has anyone ever smoked a 20-25 pound suckling pig? I plan to do one on my Lang smoker for our Christmas party on December 22. Here is a link to a video about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqx_vry8oKg

From my research, technically, a suckling pig is one that has not been weaned, so is less than 8 weeks old, and weighs 25 pounds or less. Allow 1.5 pounds of pig as put on to cook per guest. So a 20 pound pig will feed 13 guests. The muscles haven’t toughened yet, and the milk fed meat is melt in your mouth. I have eaten suckling pig only once, when I was in Monterrey, Mexico for a business conference in 2010, and it was excellent!

Cook at 250-275 until the internal temperature in the hams is at least 165. You don’t need to cook it to a higher temperature because the muscles and sinew haven’t gotten tough. Depending on weight, it will probably be done in 4 – 5 hours.

Please let me know if you think my research is correct, or what your experience with this has been.

Know nothing about it cooking it, but what time should i be there?

Comment

Smoked a few "hoglegs" back in collage, but never one that big; how do you light that? Jkjk. Been thinking of trying my hand at a small pig myself soon. Ill keep an eye on this thread.

Comment

RAmorris Are you still planning on smoking a pig? What size is your Lang?

Comment

Planning on doing the same for new years. Yep We often cook it at my in laws using a gas oven. Comes out great. Most "Lechons" are about 20 lb or less . I am going to try and get crispy skin by drying it out with salt and in the fridge. Got a guy showing up at my door in about 10 mins who can source me 10kg lechons (cleaned) for U$d35 each.

Comment

Know nothing. Sounds awesome, good luck and post pics. What are you cooking it on?

Comment

Here's Malcolm Reed's video on how he does it .... it's on my short list as well !!!

Comment

Good luck with your cook. Post lots of photos. I like to see how it is prepped.
                Last edited by jecucolo; December 21, 2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I have a friend from the Philippines, and he and his family always serve up lechon when they get together back home around the holidays. Very impressive sight, and I am always jealous when I see the photos. That skin looks like it is to die for!

Comment

I look forward to your cook details. Somewhere on here I posted a pretty detailed write up of a suckling pig cook I did. I don't think it will take you anywhere near 4-5 hrs. Also, you're going to want to crank up the heat at the end to crisp up the skin. Can't wait. Post lots of pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here