Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot 'n Fast vs. Low 'n Slow for Pork Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_162154.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	586283Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_162702.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	586284Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_165152.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	586285Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_170330.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	586286 I cooked the bbr this summer hot n fast, first time trying it, I was trying to cook them like the dream land ribs in meatheads cook book, they turned out really good and I think they could be as good as slow smoked ribs with a few more tries. they cooked in about 40 min. that being said I haven't tried doing them since, although its on my list... I guess I just really like the low n slow process

Comment

Biggest thing I can think of that could be a factor is that in the hot and fast method, the fat doesn't break down as much. I've noticed that even with the blasphemy method - more chunks of fat remain on the ribs, that would basically render if I cooked them for 4-6 hours at 225F.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I only noticed the fat on the last batch I tried, and I think I took them up a little soon as everyone was hungry. I still recommend the Blasphemy method, and in fact that is why I bought a Hover Grill for my kettle - to expand grate space on the kettle. My best results so far for Blasphemy were on my offset.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, jfmorris . I'll give them a try. I like the idea of 360 bark and rub and a quicker cook. Those are definite positives. Plus if you recommend them, they must be good!

Kathryn

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc Yes Kathryn - that was why the wife and daughters liked them so much - the all over flavor. I mixed up some MMD plus kosher salt and tossed them in that, and left them in zip lock bags in the fridge overnight. And finished with Blue's Hog for 30 minutes or so at the end of the cook.

Jim

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here