Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's menu....Rack of Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's menu....Rack of Pork

Morning boys! A buddy gave me this rack of pork. I thawed an d dry-brined it. Now, how do you cook it? The amount of meat on this doesn't lead me to smoke it. Is this a low and slow on the grill with some smoke and finish with a sear?

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20181028_09_02_45_Pro.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	584734

To me that looks like part of the ribs, just cut differently, any d I would smoke low and slow at 225-250 just like ribs. Is it a hunk of the loin or something, with ribs attached? Or does it look more like chops from the end? The cut makes a huge difference in how long to cook. If it were ribs you will go for 5-6 hours, but if it’s chops or a loin, you want to finish at 145F internal on the hunk of meat. Either way, I would only bother with a Sear if you were cutting those apart between the bones and treating like chops.

Comment

• warren012
      warren012 commented
      Editing a comment
      JF, It is a thick cut so I guess it should be cooked like a roast.

Nice looking rack. How thick the meat is will help determine your method. I'd go low and slow.

Comment

What you essentially have is a pork rib roast. Similar cut on a cow would be a ribeye roast. You can roast it like you have it, tons of recipes in the pork channel section, or if you're adventuresome you can do an elegant pork crown roast as I did here;

Pork Crown Roast

Either way you're coking bone-in pork chops, so think of it that way. Low and slow until you reach an internal temperature of around 140*. Good luck !!!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• jgreen
        jgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember that post. Turned out beautiful. I have never seen that cut in stores here so might need a trip to a specialty butcher.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      What you essentially have is a pork rib roast. Similar cut on a cow would be a ribeye roast. You can roast it like you have it, tons of recipes in the pork channel section, or if you're adventuresome you can do an elegant pork crown roast as I did here;

Pork Crown Roast

Either way you're coking bone-in pork chops, so think of it that way. Low and slow until you reach an internal temperature of around 140*. Good luck !!!
      First off, your crown looked awesome!! Thanks for all the input. I'll search for the habenero/pineapple glaze. Time to heat up the smoker. It got cold in south Florida so I'm sure it may take a little longer. Chilly 75 degrees today.

Comment

Originally posted by warren012 View Post

Time to heat up the smoker. It got cold in south Florida so I'm sure it may take a little longer. Chilly 75 degrees today.

Ha ha ha, 75 degrees, chilly. What I wouldn't give to get back to 75 degrees....before May, that is....

Comment

I have made 2 of these in the last year. They were pork heaven. One I did flat and the other I did as a crown. I prefer flat. I dry brined for overnight then covered with Memphis Dust. Did them both on my Weber Performed with SNS at 250-275 to an internal temperature of 135. When served the internal temperature was 138. I set one thermometer in the meat while cooking and it was dead center. The end sections were more done (for the pink pork squeamish in my family). For me the center section was some of the best pork I have ever eaten. I did not sear. I used hickory chunks for one cook and apple for the other. I prefer the hickory results.

This is a cut of meat I see every holiday season at my Costco and then again around Easter. This year I hope to get some from Costco for the freezer because in my checking with 2 local butchers, if you want them cut special they start charging you "beef like" prices.

Enjoy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here