Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon wrapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon wrapping

I love almost anything bacon wrapped, steak medallions, scallops, shrimp just to name a few. I've had mixed success, trying various methods and could use some advice from the more experienced here ( please & thank you). For wrapping, I slice the bacon thinner. I've tried par cooking or not. Love to hear what you guys (& gals) like to wrap & your methods

Thanks

Cheers

Bill

I'd love to help but I am not a huge bacon fan (I know I just lost some points there...) so I'll be reading others' ideas.

Comment

Not a bacon fan? Geez, I was starting to like you! LOL

Comment

Thinner bacon for me is better. It also sticks better.

I'm not much for the bacon weave since parts of the bacon is "shielded" from da heat.

I am also not worried if I have to broil the bacon before serving. Kinda prefer it on the crispy side.

Comment

Not a bacon fan?? LOL I am shocked that a meat cooker is not a bacon fan. Just kidding guys (sort of) to each his own.

Comment

How about bacon, eggs, grits, toast and hash browns????

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I LOVE a big breakfast with all the fixins.

The problem with me & bacon is that it tastes like breakfast food to me. It's not that I don't like it, I do, but I'm definitely not obsessed with it at all. Every time I put bacon on something it just tastes like I'm breakfastizing up my food. I don't know, I guess I'm crazy like that. To me, bacon is like popcorn. I'll eat it if it's there, but I could never have it again and be just fine.

Comment

• Guy
              Guy commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee, I have read you enough to know you are far from crazy but this explanation is kind of you know ............

Breakfastizing, huh???? LOL

• bbqoaf
              bbqoaf commented
              Editing a comment
              My issue with adding bacon to anything is that it is such a bold flavour that it takes over and people think they are such gourmet genius' for making something taste good by wrapping it in bacon. There is no skill, it can be very delicious, but it is swimming in the extreme shallow end of the culinary creativity pool.

If added sparingly and used to deliberately complement another flavour then that's great, I just laugh at the people who think they are so awesome by adding bacon to everything.
              Last edited by bbqoaf; February 10, 2015, 12:19 PM.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              @bbqoaf right I agree it is bold and it makes everything I put it on taste like bacon, which to me is not that awesome as it is for some. I'm a cheese guy. I joke with my wife and tell her I'd put shredded cheese in my cereal if it were socially acceptable (I wouldn't, but I do love cheese).

So, no bacon cheeseburgers for you Huskee?

Comment

Bacon is such a special thing, I could talk about it all day, I cure and smoke my own which has made me a bit of a snob for the store bought variety, but I have noticed more artisanal bacon showing up in our local markets and it is commanding a high price. I smoke five bellies at a time so I can fill my freezer.
              John Torode, a celebrity chef from Australia has a recipe that I I have tried that sounds odd but it outstanding, he makes a pouch in the side of a filet mignon and stuffs it with an oyster then wraps a piece of bacon around it and cooks it in a smoking hot cast iron pan, to cook the bacon properly just keep rotating them along the sides of the cast iron pan. I shuck an extra oyster for each filet I cook and when the steaks are almost done I add whole butter to the pan along with the extra oysters and serve each filet topped with an oyster and drizzled with the accumulated juices from the pan, finishing it with kosher salt fresh cracked pepper and some chopped parsley. I hade a picture of the finished dish but cannot seem to find it right now. If you don't like oysters just experiment with other fillings.

The one thing that I will use store bought bacon for is stuffed Jalapeno poppers. I slice the peppers in half lengthwise , remove the seeds, fill with cream cheese then roll a half slice of bacon around it. I cook them indirectly on a kettle grill then finish over the coals to crisp up the bottoms.

Comment

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                This is interesting I love oysters. They are practically in my backyard.

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
              So, no bacon cheeseburgers for you Huskee?
              Maybe once a year. I like it to be the kind with bacon, onion rings, cheddar cheese, and BBQ sauce, "cowboy burger" they're sometimes called at different places. Ruby Tuesday makes a good one.

Comment

I use thin slices and toothpick to hold them together while cooking.

Comment

I'll not eat a burger without crispy bacon. That's just NOT a burger to me.

Comment

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ernest, bacon has not been on burgers that long what did we do then??

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cooked the burgers in lard, LOL

• Guy
                    Guy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LMAO true that. Forgot about that. HaHa.

When I make my own bacon, I often will do a more savory batch and use that to wrap foods that benefit from a crispy piece of pork goodness. I have used ideas from "Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. I highly recommend the work. For a more savory bacon, I use smashed garlic, bay and cracked black pepper added to a basic dry cure. I slice it thin. I find this savory cure better for wrapping some foods.

Comment

Bacon wrapped baby back ribs from the Anthracite Cafe, in Wilkes-Barre PA. The bacon is maple cured, the bbq sauce is maple based. The bacon is done, but chewy and thick, making it more like pork belly. It goes really well with the pork. this is an example of two excellent things combining to be spectacular.

Comment

If you are going to wrap something that has a short cook time like shrimp or scallops I recommend par-cooking the bacon before wrapping. This can be a simple as putting it on a cookie sheet and baking it at 350 for 10-15 minutes. It will still be pliable at this point and thus will be easy to work with but it will also be pleasantly cooked after the whole process is finished.

Comment

• Guy
                        Guy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Never thought of that Jeff but it does make sense. Thanks for that tip, gonna give it a try.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here