Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monroe County Grilled Pork Shoulder Steaks And Dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monroe County Grilled Pork Shoulder Steaks And Dip

https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-hirshon-kentucky-pork-shoulder-chop-bbq-and-vinegar-slaw/

Or for those who prefer not to click through:

My Citizens, your well-marinated and smoky Leader – the always slow-cooked TFD! – is an obsessive fan of all forms of BBQ! Even with my encyclopædic knowledge of ‘Q, I was totally unaware of a hyper-local, regional style of BBQ that had escaped even my eagle-eyed attention! This must not stand – and as such, allow me to introduce you to the spicy pleasures of Monroe County pork shoulder BBQ!

As eloquently noted in an article from southernliving.com:

My barbecue travels recently took me on a swing through Kentucky, including a late afternoon drive through Monroe County in the south-central part of the state, home to one of America’s most distinctive and largely-unheralded barbecue styles.

We’re not talking mutton and burgoo—the elements most commonly associated with Kentucky barbecue. Those are found further west. In Monroe County, pork and chicken are the name of the game, along with a few items you won’t find anywhere else.

There’s "vinegar slaw" for instance—called such to distinguish it from the white-dressed "mayo slaw." People dress their slaw with vinegar all over the country, but not quite the way it’s done at places like R&S Barbecue in Tompkinsville. The cabbage is diced fine and marinated in a sugar-laced vinegar mix until it’s almost translucent, and it ends up supremely tangy, cool, and sweet.

But the real hallmark of the Monroe County style is shoulder—pork shoulder, to be precise, but locals omit the "pork" part as unnecessary. In the rest of the South, when barbecue fans say "pork shoulder" they mean whole picnics or Boston butts cooked low and slow over smoky heat and then pulled into long shreds or chopped into bits. Not in Monroe County. Here, "shoulder" means something very different.

They start with Boston butt that’s still frozen and use a meat saw to cut it into bone-in slices just a half inch thick. Once thawed, the slices are cooked on an open pit fired with hickory coals. Being so thin, they don’t need much time on the pit—45 minutes or less—but that’s plenty long enough to impart a subtle smoky flavor to the meat.

It’s served with "dip," a thin, pungent sauce made from distilled vinegar with a little butter or lard (or both) and plenty of black and cayenne pepper. For me, that dip is the key. Without it, shoulder is really just a rather chewy slice of fire-singed pork, more akin to country ham than anything else. Let it steep for a while down in that tangy, pepper-laden sauce, though, and it’s an absolute delight.

Some doctrinaire barbecue fans might declare such a preparation to be grilling, not barbecue. I’ll let Western Kentucky University professor Wes Berry, author of The Kentucky Barbecue Book and authority on all things barbecue in the Bluegrass State, adjudicate that question. "So what?" Berry writes. "It still tastes like smoke and pork, and people around here love it. Ultimately it doesn’t matter what you call it"grilled pork steak, shoulder, or barbecue—because the stuff is good. Eat it.”

Wise counsel, Professor.

Speaking of the legendary Dr. Berry: he further expounded on his excellent blog:

Another noteworthy regional tradition—called Monroe County style—dominates barbecue menus in five south-central counties: Monroe, Barren, Cumberland, Allen, and Warren. This is the stuff I grew up eating. Locals refer to it as "shoulder." Boston butts—the thick end of a pork shoulder—are frozen and then cut into thin slices, bone in, with a meat saw.

Pit masters traditionally burned down hickory wood to coals and shoveled the coals underneath iron grates that held dozens of slices of shoulder. As the meats cooked over hot coals, the pit tenders flipped and basted the pieces periodically with a "dip" of vinegar, lard, butter, cayenne and black pepper, and salt.

Because of the small surface area, pieces of shoulder soak up a lot of smoke in a short amount of time.

As lastly noted in the New York Times article that first caught my attention regarding this least-recognized BBQ style:

Shoulder steaks? Grilled? You won’t find the usual whole pork shoulders here, slow-smoked for half a day. There’s no chopping or shredding the meat to be doused with vinegar sauce, as they do elsewhere in Kentucky and the Carolinas. Monroe County barbecue consists of pork shoulder cut crosswise on a meat saw into pencil-thin steaks, which are grilled, rather than smoked, over hickory embers.

But these pork steaks don’t become barbecue until they are dipped — not once, but twice — in a fiery amalgam of vinegar, melted butter, lard, salt and tongue-torturing doses of black and cayenne peppers.

The first dip is swabbed on the meat as it grills with a miniature cotton mop. Once cooked, the steaks are plunged into a pot of dip, coating the surface with a peppery, buttery veneer. Customers with a masochistic bent order their pork steaks dipped a third time. If you really want to punish yourself, you ask for a separate cup of dip on the side.

The result may make you think of Buffalo wings, with grilled pork steaks standing in for deep-fried chicken. But Buffalo wings don’t taste of wood smoke. You may be reminded of jerky, as the thin slices of pork acquire a firm texture in the 30 minutes or so they spend over the embers.

My Citizens, I have every confidence you will LOVE this most rare of BBQ recipes! 🙂 I’ve tweaked the recipe with 3 totally optional changes, as is my inalienable right as The Food Dictator! Don’t approve of my changes? I applaud your indefatigable orthodoxy, just ignore my tweaks to make the original version. I also include the proper recipe for this region of Kentucky’s preferred side dish with the shoulder chops – vinegar slaw!

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Hirshon Kentucky Pork Shoulder Chop "BBQ" And Vinegar Slaw

Ingredients
    • For the steaks:
    • Four pork blade steaks, the thinner the better (if they're really thin, like half an inch or less, budget for eight because your guests will easily eat two each)
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Hickory wood chunks soaked in water as a flavoring agent
    • For the sop/dip:
    • 4 cups white vinegar
    • ½ cup top-quality lard
    • ½ cup butter
    • 2 Tbsp finely ground black pepper
    • 1 Tbsp cayenne
    • 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (TFD change, original was more cayenne)
    • 1 Tbsp Jane’s Krazy Seasoning Salt (TFD change, original was Kosher Salt)
    • ½ Tbsp. dried Sage crushed in a mortar and pestle with 1 clove of garlic (Highly optional TFD change - omit for classic recipe)
    • South Fork Grill’s Vinegar Coleslaw
    • 4 cups distilled vinegar
    • 5 cups sugar
    • Pinch of salt and pepper
    • 2 heads large cabbage, chopped
    • 1 carrot stick, chopped
    • ½ medium onion, chopped
    • ¼ green pepper, chopped

Instructions
    1. Melt the sop ingredients in a saucepan. Keep warm so the fat stays melted.
    2. Pre-heat your grill for low-medium direct cooking. Season the blade steaks with salt and pepper and place them on the grill. Turn them regularly, brushing some of the sauce on them with every turn, until they’re well done – about 15 minutes to half an hour, depending on how low your heat is. Use hickory chips or chunks to produce some flavorful smoke.
    3. If you’re cooking with charcoal, just place a chunk of water-soaked hickory on the coals before you start cooking the steaks. For gas grills, place some soaked hickory wood chips in foil, poke holes in the foil and place the packet underneath the cooking grates.
    4. Take the steaks off the grill and serve them immediately, with one last coating of the sop, and some on the side for those who want extra.
    5. For the slaw:
    6. Heat vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set aside and let cool. Add 7 cups cabbage mix to the cooled vinegar. Stir well and refrigerate. Makes 10-12 servings.
    Last edited by Jhirshon; October 24, 2018, 01:35 PM. Reason: Added my recipe post instead of linking to NY Times article

Meathead just sent me this the other day. Not familiar myself, sounds tasty though. I myself am curious to see how the 'thin pork steaks' stand up to "30 minutes over the embers"... seems like a recipe for trough dry meat.

Comment

Completely different provenance, but close enough that you might want to consider some "fusion": https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...rk-and-peaches

Big favorite around here, and fast.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        This one is obviously a Spinaker special!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd eat that!

• FlussHund
        FlussHund commented
        Editing a comment
        Darn paywall.

I have actually done this more or less. Sliced a butt about 3/4" thick and just fried them. It's really just a kind a variant on a fried pork chop, same sort of flavor and texture profile with a bit more fat obviously. They do tend to come out a little bit dry but I use Lea & Perrins as a sauce and they ain't bad. Would much rather have them cut thicker than slow smoked, kind of like you would ribs. Now that's some tasty vittles ......

Pork Steaks

Comment

Read that this morning. I'm more interested in tasting that dip than a thin pork shoulder steak cooked for 45 minutes

Comment

This is obviously a thing in South Central Kentucky, and there is a place in Bowling Green called Smokey Pig BBQ that serves it up as their specialty. It's pretty good, but not at all what I think of as BBQ. More like a grilled pork chop dipped in a spicy heated sauce. As you might imagine, it has the toughness of a slice of country ham that has been fried in a skillet.

Comment

Jhirshon Loved this post. Super fun. Definitely want to do the sauce, but will try the pork too.

Comment

Wow, I am planning on grilling some pork chops here shortly; I think I'll make that sop to go with them. And the slaw - I love vinegar slaw. Thanks, Jhirshon

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Big vinegar slaw fan here, too! The only way!

• Jhirshon
                Jhirshon commented
                Editing a comment
                You're very welcome, sir!

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, work got in the way of making the chops last night, and it is supposed to rain today. I may have to rig up some kind of umbrella thing. Couldn't find lard so I am going to substitute duck fat (actually I didn't look too hard for the lard after I saw the duck fat).

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here