Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defrost & brine Sequence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Great Idea, Amigo!
    A bigger fridge is high on my list; mine is small, an elderly...

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I no longer defrost in the sink ... or anywhere else at or near room temp (anything above 40 deg). Instead, I defrost in a bowl of water set in the fridge to keep it cold. From what I've seen it's just about as fast as in-the-sink ... and a whole lot safer. The only real hassle is finding a big enough bowl and making room for it in the fridge. As a bonus, you can pretty much forget about having to change the water as often (if at all). The link provided by Mr. Bones is an excellent reference.

RonB offers some great advice, too. Plan ahead, dry brine it, vac seal it, and freeze until it's time to thaw.

As far as how long it's good in the fridge, depending on the protein I typically dry brine for 24 - 72 hours. As long as the temp remains well below 40, you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Always my distinct pleasure to be of any assistance, Brother!

• RonB
    replied
    In the future, you might consider dry brining and then freezing. Having a vacuum sealer helps if it will be frozen longer than a couple of weeks. That way you can even go straight from the freezer to the smoker. You will, of course, have to plan on additional time when starting with frozen protein.

Leave a comment:

• McEDaddy
    replied
    Thanks Mr. Bones

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    I think the key thing here is defrostin it Safely...
    When I don't have time to wait out a Refrigerator Defrost, I use th Cold Water Thaw...

Here's some info to git ya pointed in th right direction...

By Safely thawin yer protein, within proper temp range, it should give ya a more than adequate window of time to dry brine as required.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 20, 2018, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• McEDaddy
    started a topic Defrost & brine Sequence ?

Defrost & brine Sequence ?

Say you bought and froze a pork tenderloin (or any meat), it was in the freezer for a couple weeks still in the packaging, Now you want to cook it, if it defrosts in the sink, say it takes 3 hours, how long is it safe in the fridge while dry brining?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here