Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use picnic ham for pulled pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you use picnic ham for pulled pork?

I got a seven pound picnic ham. Can I smoke it just like a pork butt and pull it?

I wouldn't try myself. And while nothing is impossible, good sliced ham is always a winner.

Comment

Are you talking about a picnic shoulder? If so, absolutely. I have used it for pulled pork.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutey! I've done it several times, and sometimes in combination with butts. No difference in treatment.

I'm thinking ham, but yeah picnic will work, for me a tad drier than butt.

Comment

Is it just the raw picnic cut or is it actually a cured ham?

if it’s raw, same treatment as butt though you should make cracklins etc with the skin if it’s there.

Comment

Thanks all! It's a picnic shoulder not cured. Smoking it and pulling it it is!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Go get 'em!

You can make cracklings out of the thick skin on the picnic. I’ve smoked the picnic before, and the flavor is a little different. It makes excellent Cuban Pork with the recipe from American Test Kitchens’ Master of the Grill.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to look into that!

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            And the cracklins are awesome!!

I do it all the time. I advise my students that boston butt is best for pulled pork but if they are planning on selling pulled pork sandwhiches to drunks at 3am go ahead and use the whole leg or a ham as it is half the cost. Just toss in more BBQ sauce or other lubricant.

Comment

The texture of picnic is a bit more meaty and chewy. I like it for a change. I love it in baked beans

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Ooooo. Good idea.

I meant to follow up to this post with pics and an update of the cook. Um, I forgot. But here's a pulled pork wrap from the picnic ham/shoulder I'm having for dinner. I like the Boston Butt better, seems to be juicier, but this was good too! Thanks all for your suggestions and replies!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_171905.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	583709

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a Delicious wrap, Brother!
              Nice Job.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here