Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prague Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague Powder

Hello all, I’m going to be making some bacon Sunday or Monday and in searching locally for the Prague Power #1 called for in the public side’s recipe, the closest I could find is "Smokehouse Curing Salt." Anyone know if they’re one in the same?

Never mind! I have answered my own question. Yes it’s the same. 6.25% Sodium Nitrite

Comment

Nice! Thank you for checking! Very important! Best of luck with your curing, my friend. Rip that stuff ion the KBQ, you won't regret it!

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely, going to use white oak for this smoke! Do you usually use bottom, top or combo of poppets for bacon?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a combo because you are not going to smoke it too long. So a little dirtier smoke is fine. JakeT

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, about what I was planning. Almost like cooking tri tip configuration.

I have had great success curing for 7 to 8 days...…..good luck!!

Comment

kbremer really, I was hesitant to go over 3 days for fear of over salting! My belly is barely an inch thick at best.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeT View Post
          kbremer really, I was hesitant to go over 3 days for fear of over salting! My belly is barely an inch thick at best.
          Make sure to use the curing calculator and only go about 20% longer than the prescribed curing time.

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense, I try not to go too far away from the recipes because I know Blonder’s scientific input is usually factored in in some way or another.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah! It's his calculator! Jake T

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, what bad happens if you go over the normal cure time? I understand in the Prague #2 since the nitrate converts to nitrite over time. Just want to learn more.

I have always gone over 6 days. make sure you rinse good. I am not a salt user at all, and some times it seems like I should have used more salt. I also use a wet brine. I tried the dry, the taste was not as good. Using wet, it appeared the belly had a darker color.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Wet has more water to attract more smoke. I found the same thing out on pastrami, never doing dry again.

Speaking of which, what do ya'll think of this recipe? https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...d-smoked-bacon Spinaker Jerod Broussard
          Last edited by CaptainMike; October 19, 2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm, it says "page not found", could you check the link please?

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Try it again Henrik

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, cap, that recipe sounds good! Works on all grills too. I wouldn't bother with the ice block though.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here