Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to smoking

Just got my Green Mountain Daniel Boone and of course I have a few people that want to come over for the maiden voyage. Any suggestions on an easy first time pork butt recipe?? May throw a few sausages on as well -

thanks

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
    Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

Apply rub of choice the night before smoking. Smoke at 225 indirect. Plan on 14 hours, but monitor internal temp and pull at 205. Cover and rest for 30 minutes to an hour, pull and serve. If it stalls (150-170 ish) you can wrap it and put it back on.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Have you looked at this article to get you started? https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-pork-recipe

Comment

• obiQsmoker
          obiQsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 - Outstanding and nearly impossible to get anything but DELICIOUS!

• gschnapp
          gschnapp commented
          Editing a comment
          Am going to give this one a try - thanks

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Hey, pork butts are definitely easy! You can use almost any rub, I've been known to mix up half jars of different products... not saying it doesn't matter what you use, but rather, they're all pretty good and all go well together.

If you use no-salt rub, then salt your roast the night before. If you are using salted rub, then apply the rub the night before, so as to get the salt on it early.

I haven't used a pellet grill, but the principle of heat + time is the same. Follow the instructions that came with the unit and you should be good. I do mine at 250*, but I've done them at 225* and 275*, and I've bumped them to 300* when I was pressed for time. The roast is done when the bone pulls out cleanly. Allow an hour for cambro when it's done.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. As far as your first cook, pork butts are a good way to go. I suggest you use Meathead's Memphis Dust. It's always a winner. Smoke anywhere between 225* and 275* until probe tender. Some wrap around 160*, some after the stall, and some don't wrap. Wrapping will speed the cook, but soften the bark.

Edit to add that you should allow enough time to cambro for an hour or two after cooking.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit, from Houston!! I will second the advice from everybody else so far, Meathead’s Memphis Dust is a favorite of mine for pork, but they are all pretty good. The great thing (to me) about starting with a recipe here, is that I establish a baseline and then can experiment with ingredients and ratios in the rub to suit mine and my guests tastes. The link above from fuzzydaddy is the recipe I used for my first pork butt and the one I still use! Good luck on your cook, and as we like to say around here, pics or it didn’t happen!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! This may help: Thickness of meat determines cook time. On 10# four inch plus thick Boston Butts the cook time runs like this. 3 hours to 160, 6 hours to 180, and 3 hours to 200 for a total of 12 hours. Wrapping from 160 to 180 can cut that time in half.

Comment

I knowed I seed yer name afore. Welcome again.

Comment

If your butt is larger than 4 pounds cut it in half. This results in more bark and a slightly shorter stall. I recommend a little hotter than 225. I like 275-290 but with a pellet cooker my understanding is the hotter it runs the less smoke you will get. So, with that I'd say compromise with a temp of 250. If you dry-brine your butt (I recommend doing so) make sure you don't have sodium in your rub. For pork butt I've found the optimal internal temperature to be right around 195.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Have fun with your new cooker. Enjoy the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome! You're getting some really good advice about this first cook, and I don't think I have anything to add. Well, maybe. If that sucker turns black and looks burnt as all get out you've developed some tasty bark! That's not burnt. That's where all the flavor is! Embrace the bark. Took me years to figure that out on my own...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here