Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming fat cap off pork butt before smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming fat cap off pork butt before smoking

Hello all! I was wondering if it is beneficial to trim the fat cap off of a pork butt before smoking it? The reason I ask is I am planning to smoke 15+ boston butts next weekend for a party.

Trying to make things easier, I thought I would trim the fat cap off before cooking so I could toss the shoulders together and use a variation of the porkinator (porkinator.com) to shred the shoulders after smoking.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Happy Smoking!

I always remove the fat cap when I am doing pork shoulders. I don't like having those gobs of fat in the pulled pork, most people don't. The trimming on a pork should is much easier than a brisket, so it is not a big deal to remove the fat cap.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll second that!

Exactly what Spinaker said. It also allows the salt to penetrate the meat and the rub the adhere better which equals more flavor and bark.

Comment

No cap = moar barq.
      Barq is the reason for the season(ing).
      Take em off. Or maybe leave a couple, but trim them much tighter.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e9.jpeg
Views:	8255
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	579447
        Fat is flavor
        we mix it in and say "your welcome" when they go crazy over the eats

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmmm. This sounds interesting. Almost like bits of pig candy mixed in with the pull. I know Spinaker will experiment with this technique.

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here

I trim it back/off. There is plenty of other fat marbeled in that contributes. As stated many times above, more surface are of meat, more bark and flavor.

Comment

I don't mind leaving a tiny bit - less than 1/8", but I don't worry if there are bare spots either. There is really all you need within the butt.

Comment

I also trim to leave just a thin layer. Pork butt / shoulder has lots of internal fat but like they say, "fat is flavor" it just depends on your customers. I see 15+ butts? yowzer!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	+wZryznCSgWjz1n4HdDV2w.jpg
Views:	8513
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	579516
              yep I likes my bark also

Comment

Same. Less wads of fat in the pulled product the better, and more bark the better. And the pets love eating the trimming scraps. I very aggressively trim mine, I will even reach down in and hack away some internal fat bands while prepping, and my butts have a misshapen jagged appearance quite often because of this. I wouldn't take a pic of them for a BBQ cookbook, but I'd gladly offer my end product to anyone!

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll take it! 😀

I trim them off. My family and I don’t dig the texture of that kind of fat. Besides I want salt to get to the meat for my dry brining and personally I prefer the texture of meat.

Comment

I left mine on tonight. I cut a sliver off to see how thick it was, and it might be just over 1/8". Trying to use up all my Pecan pellets so I can use my Mesquite on two briskets Friday night. I'm running fat cap up on the second to highest rack. Butt is experiencing about 264 degrees F. cooking temp.

I also mostly disconnected the money muscle so I could fold it out and get darn near 360 bark.

Comment

I always trim....get more bark

Comment

I always leave the fat cap on my pork butts and put the fat cap down to help keep the meat from burning or drying out.

Comment

I am somewhere in between. I trim the money muscle, but leave the layer of fat on the bottom in one piece. But, I also smoke my butts in half size hotel pans. This keeps the drippings, which I pour back over the pork after pulling. Since I leave the fat cap on the bottom, the actual meat isn't sitting in the drippings during the cook. I just slide the full fat cap off the meat after it is done and before pulling. Yup, I definitely get less bark this way - but the juicy tenderness of the pork is fabulous.

I will have to experiment with trimming it and see what that does to it overall. Always a different way to go about it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here