Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secreto Iberico...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secreto Iberico...again

I bought some Secreto Iberico, that super fatty and super tasty pork from Spain! I absolutely love it. It is super thin, but marbled like crazy. I love that fat. This was a super fast cook, you grill it over high direct heat for like 2-3 minutes. This is the type of pork that should be a bit pink in the middle, so DO NOT overcook it.

Once grilled (this is a prime candidate for a griddle), I added plenty of salt and served it on a slice of rye with slices of mango and cilantro. The pork flavor marries the sweet pork perfectly! I’ve done this before, but then with peaches. Works just as well.

If you get the chance this is a pork cut you shouldn’t miss!

Ingredients
    300 grams Secreto Iberico (10-11 oz)
    0.5 tsp salt
    1 mango
    1 bunch cilantro
    rye bread

How I did it
    Fire up that grill, get it searing hot. We're talking warp 10. Sear the heck out of the pork, slice thinly. Apply liberal amounts of salt. Make that sandwich with mango slices and cilantro, and eat immediately. Such an amazing treat!

One secreto, sliced in two by me

Click image for larger version

Name:	Secreto1.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	578165

Started searing with my custom welded grates

Name:	Secreto2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	578166

That fat catches fire in no time!

Name:	Secreto3.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	578167

This is what it should look like. Gorgeous!

Name:	Secreto4.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	578168

And here's the sammies. Enjoy with a cold beer!

Name:	Secreto5.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	578169

I'm jealous that you can just run out and get iberico pork. It's absurdly expensive here, and hard to track down.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, so I’ve heard. If it’s too expensive it takes all the fun out.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes it super special occasion.
      This is the best mail order I've found for all things special and Spain.
      Shop flavorful Iberico grilling meat. La Tienda offers the best of Spain shipped direct to your home - fine Spanish foods, cookware and more.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Way above my pay grade. But it looks awesome.

Look at the marbling, gorgeous. I'm with PKB, I wanna just run out and find me some but the cost is exorbitant !!!

Comment

Ok, dumb question, with all the pork we have in this country, why wouldn’t it be more available & cheaper in the U.S.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Because we mostly raise them differently. I've had some really good pork from people who do it right, though.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Special breed, special diet, special climate, and must come from a certain area. Think champagne or kobe beef

Most expensive meat at my butcher, more so than waygu. Also my wifes favorite.

Comment

I thought Secreto was Spanish for Secretariat. Iberico slang for Siberia. Siberian horse meat.

Comment

Not to make you all jealous, but I don’t pay more for this than I would a ribeye here in Sweden. Which is nice for once. One would think someone offered imported Spanish pork at a better price in the US.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Due to USDA inspection requirements for meat, all small producer, imported meat is very expensive here. The producers have to hire a USDA inspector to tour their production facility, just like in the US. Increases their cost.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            depends on what you pay for a ribeye...

Very nice.

Comment

Thank goodness, walmart has this stuff for only about $101/lb shipped. Be a great post-divorce meal.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahahahahahahaha

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here