Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

high heat ribs ready in 1/2hr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high heat ribs ready in 1/2hr?

I have a friend who claims he can get tender side ribs by cooking them over a fire (in his bbq...not sure how he accomplishes that) turning them frequently. His claim is that they are done in about 1/2hr or less. I am skeptical, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if this is possible.

I am hoping to witness this process sometime this spring/summer to see if it works and how the ribs taste.

I think he tends to use a greek/mediterranean sauce for flavour. I don't think he uses a rub....I forgot to ask.

I'm sure you could use high eat to get them to a certain temp in half an hour, but that doesn't mean their done. BBQ has to have both temp and tenderness to be "done".

Comment

Maybe he's doing this? http://ribalizer.com. This is really more of a steamed rib vs a low and slow smoke. There's a video on how to use them, but there are a lot of myths perpetuated by the video. Trust this site instead.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        But that's 2 hours, not 1/2 hour or less. And one for our BBQ Myths Channel: The smoke ring means the smoke has penetrated the meat.

DEW

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        My dyslexia must have kicked in again. Thought it read 1 1/2 hours which you could probably do with a ribalizer.

The Rendezvous in Memphis, TN cooks their ribs in 60 min over high heat, and have done so for many decades. The secret to theirs is frequent mopping, which yes, it sort of steams them. Check it out here.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I don't think non-smoked ribs could ever be better than smoked ribs. Very good sure, but smoked is better always IMO.

• W.A.
        W.A. commented
        Editing a comment
        They have lamb ribs there too. Those were very nice using their cooking process.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done this following MH's recipe and it came out good when I wanted ribs in a hurry.

Yes - if you follow the link Huskee shows, you will get great ribs. But it will take 60 minutes. I dunno how your bud does it in 30.

The link is provided by MH. It minics the BBQ Shrine - The Rendezvous. The Vous uses charcoal generated heat & mopping that produces some of the finest dry rub ribs anywhere. Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
        SaskatoonBusche commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I will give that a try maybe next week. Yes, I agree - I'm not sure if 1/2 is reasonable. When I see him do it I'll see how it goes and I'll get back to you folks with my opinion. He does say that it gets a little charred on the outside, but it's fine on the inside. I'll only be convinced when I see the results.

Cooked through in 1/2 hour is doable with high temp IMO. However, isn't the reason we do ribs low and slow with smoke is to render the fat and collagen's over time? I can't imagine those ribs being tender near falling off the bone smoky goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by cdd315 View Post
        Cooked through in 1/2 hour is doable with high temp IMO. However, isn't the reason we do ribs low and slow with smoke is to render the fat and collagen's over time? I can't imagine those ribs being tender near falling off the bone smoky goodness.
        I agree completely. The very first rack of ribs I ever attempted I basically grilled them like steak not knowing any better. Tasted great but they were a giant tough pork chop with bones.

I'm anxious to see this method and the real result too.

Comment

Good things come to those who wait.

Comment

I never want my wife to know ribs can be cooked in an hour. I enjoy my 10 hour cooks too much. LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here