Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reheating Pork belly Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reheating Pork belly Burnt Ends

Today will be my first attempt at PBBE's. I'll be doing about 9 lbs which is way more than my wife and I would eat. Our plan is to vacuum pack and refrigerate whats left. Assuming the effort is successful I plan to make additional PBBE's tomorrow which will also be vacuum packed, refrigerated and used as an appetizer for out of town guests arriving this weekend. To reheat I intend to use our Joule sous vide circulator. My question is what temperature would you recommend I have the circulator set? I'm thinking in the 160* to 165* range for about an hour. What say ye?

Drop the bag in a pot of hot water. 10 mins and its ready, depending on quantity.

Comment

You have the right tools and equipemts. I reheat from frozen using Joule, set it at 140F. It does take a while, not just a few minutes. We tried the higher temps that you initially suggest, but found it does alter texture, so we settled with 140F.

We are just 2 and vacuum pack and freeze portions for 2. Not only pork belly burnt ends, but brisket, pulled pork, tenderloin and leftover stakes.

This works for us, works great. It does take time, so from solid frozen, a bag of Pork Belly for 2, we drop it in Joule at 140F, and let it get nice and warm for 1 hour minimum. That’s frozen flat, with the idea that it will facilitate storage, labeling and proper rehearing. With sliced brisket, it’s less... it’s about 40 minutes, but those are laying flat and thin.

The Joule and the vacuum pack system are excellent for food meal planning, storage and recovery. Hope this helps.

Ricardo

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with Ricardo's opinion. Mainly you want it warm enough to be a pleasant serve, and below the original cook temp.

Here is a link to ChefSteps discussing this topic: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...lmost-anything

The take-home message is to reheat at lower temps than those used to cock items in the first place.

Comment

I never had any leftovers of pork belly burnt ends so I can't help...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll use 140* as a target tyemp.

Comment

Generally I take to 135-140, as that's a pleasant mouth temperature. As ChefSteps notes, you don't want to go to or over the cook temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here