Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder Bacon + Curing Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder Bacon + Curing Calculator

This is probably a dumb question and I may have even asked it before, but I can't find the answer. I'm making shoulder bacon and I'm on the calculator now to figure it all out. But I'm stumped at the shape of the meat section.

Is shoulder considered flat or cone like a ham? The curing time is *very* different depending.

The boneless shoulder I got from my butcher was a pretty uniform block. So I used the brisket choice in the calculator. It came out around 12 days. The center is slightly grayer than the rest, so next time I think I'll add a day or so. But it tastes sooo good and ain't got sick yet. I used Meathead's Maple bacon recipe. Its too bad that the family vote went against me. Future family bacon will be traditional belly, but I'll make more shoulder just for ME.

Comment

You got a picture?

Comment

I would consider the shoulder to be flat. Especially if you bought them at Costco. Some shoulders that are sold have more of a cone shape, but I would go for the flat shape. Your curing time will be pretty long as the meat is pretty thick.

Comment

Didn't take a picture, but it was one of those boneless ones from Costco (so it was split open pretty good). After reading Spinaker's comment, I'm going to go with flat. It's pretty rectangular.

Comment

Originally posted by LamityGrille View Post
            Didn't take a picture, but it was one of those boneless ones from Costco (so it was split open pretty good). After reading Spinaker's comment, I'm going to go with flat. It's pretty rectangular.
            Yep, that is what I would do. If you post your numbers, we can make sure you have the calculations down. (If you are not sure)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here