Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Internal Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Internal Temp?

Want to smoke a dry brined and rubbed ~3lb pork belly on the PBC this weekend... what internal temp should I aim for?

150 has worked for me making bacon. Some would push to 160. Depends on how you want to serve it, I suspect.

Comment

Pork is safe 140+. 135 if it's held there long enough. BUT...that's "safe" which is not necessarily best fpr all pork (chops? Yes. Ribs? No way Jose) Belly being very fatty needs higher, at least 150. Much more if you want it 'melt in your mouth' like burnt ends.

Comment

200 degrees for that delightful bite

Comment

I go for 200 F, I like it to melt in my mouth. The meat can be tough until it is broken down at around 200 F. Just my personal preference.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody, may have to sample along the way to find the sweet spot.

Going to cut the belly in half and do 2 methods...

1. Use MH's banh mi marinade and sous vide then hit it with some smoke and finish over direct heat. (Any suggestions for temp suitable for a 24 hr bath? I'm looking at you Potkettleblack!)
            2. Dry brine and rub with MMD and smoke all the way.

Comment

I usually take it up to 190-200. I want that melt in your mouth pork :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here